Phil's Fishless Cycle

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

To me the snail looks like a common hitchhiker snail that will reproduce at a very fast rate.

The gravel is similar to mine and will be ok with corys as its small and smooth. Sand is better for corys without a doubt but you should be fine.

LP

Juwel Rio 125 (not sure but think its around 33 US gallons?)
PH 7.6

Not been able to do exact 12hr tests so the results are slightly skewed but I'm hoping to be done in a few days so obviously had to start thinking of what fish to include....

I would ultimately like the following:

4 Corydoras (not sure I have enough bottom swimming space for more although I know they prefer larger groups)
6 Zebra Danios
8 Hengels Rasbora
3 Green Swordtails
3 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
2 Black Widow Tetra (used to have two for a few years and grew fond of them but since they do better in groups would 2 be ok? Not sure I've room for more)

Then maybe 3 shrimps and a Dwarf Gourami if poss....

Finding it difficult to meet the ideal groupings for the fish within the stocking capacity (e.g Dwarf Neon Rainbows and Black Widows) so any suggestions as to alternatives that can be kept singly or in pairs to reduce the bioload would be appreciated?

I appreciate the bioload is the problem but is the stocking helped a bit by the corys, danios and swordtails swimming at different levels of the tank?

Any comments are welcome....

Thanks

Phil

Double zeros again so 4ppm ammonia processed in under 24hrs....now to target 12hrs! :)

Congrats! Shouldn't be long now!

I have no ideas on the stocking or the snail so I'll let others with more experience chime in there. :)

It's a common pond snail. They do eat algae, and if when you get your fish in there you overfeed you'll see LOTS more.

It's a common pond snail. They do eat algae, and if when you get your fish in there you overfeed you'll see LOTS more.
Do pond snails damage plants much? I now seem to have at least 3 but probably a few more but not seen any damage to the plants....mind you there is lots of algae to keep them occupied!

This 'phase 3' seems to be taking its time.....just need to be patient I guess! Was thinking maybe I should do a water change - I've not done one during the fishless cycle as I was told it wasn't necessary.....any thoughts?

Phil

Right finally got a 0ppm reading this morning so can't be long now....

Decided the tank needed a bit of a clean (algae everywhere) and wanted to get the nitrates down so I've just done a 30% water change and swished the filter wool around in the emptied water as the filter flow had gone down somewhat.....filter back up and running so will just have to test nitrates and nitrites in the morning (although will be less than 12hrs) and hopefully it'll be down to 0ppm again!

I'm thinking of getting some White Cloud Minnows (around 6) as my first fish - any comments? Could do with something to clean the algae too and would ultimately like some Amano Shrimps but they aren't the hardiest from what I've heard - is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Phil

Most reactions

Back