Phil is getting a new home

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After doing some more research I have finally decided on my Betta "Phil's" new home. As you know he is currently in a 1 gallon drum shaped fish bowl.

I have decided on the 5 gallonTop Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit. Now I know a 10 gallon of course would be even better for him but there were several factors that entered into my decision.

1. Space and ease of cleaning - for me a smaller aquarium gives me more options to where I can put it in terms of size and weight. Also when doing full water changes and cleaning it will be easier for me because of my situation.

2. Cost and Convenience in terms of where to buy it - my local Petsmart has them in stock and they are conveniently located. The Top Fin tank is currently on sale so I can use extra money towards a water conditioner and testing kit, food and plants.

3. Since I already bought a heater for a 2 - 15 gallon and the other 10 gallon tank I was considering comes with a heater it's not something that I need. The 5 gallon Top Fin tank comes without one. It also has pretty decent filter setup for it's size and has biological filtration as well. There is even an indicator on it to tell you when to change the filter.

4. I have watched some comparison video reviews and people seem pleased with the product and I liked what I saw.

I will be going to pick up the tank this morning after I do a water change in Phil's bowl. Wish me luck!

In point 1 you mention full water changes and cleaning.

You don't have to do a complete water change and should simply do a partial (50-75%) water change each week or whenever there is a water quality issue. The fish remains in the tank when you do water changes and gravel cleaning. You can clean the substrate with a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

---------------------------
In point 3 you mention there is an indicator on the filter that tells you when to change filter media.

I don't recommend replacing filter media unless it starts to fall apart or you have carbon (black granulated substance). Carbon is not really necessary in most aquariums, however it can be used to absorb chemicals out of the water.

The TopFin HOB filters usually have a cartridge with carbon in them. When it gets dirty, you can cut the corner open on these and tip the carbon out and through it away, then wash the cartridge in a bucket of tank water and re-use it.

If you have other types of filter materials they should be washed out in a bucket of tank water and put back in the filter. Sponges are the best type of filter media and last for many years.

Do not wash filter media in a new filter for the first 6 weeks unless you absolutely have to. This 6 week period allows the beneficial filter bacteria to grow on and in the filter media and establish there. Once the filter has been running for more than 6 weeks, you can clean the filter materials every couple of weeks.

And we expect to see pictures when you get back with Phil's new home :)

Last edited:
In point 1 you mention full water changes and cleaning.

You don't have to do a complete water change and should simply do a partial (50-75%) water change each week or whenever there is a water quality issue. The fish remains in the tank when you do water changes and gravel cleaning. You can clean the substrate with a basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

---------------------------
In point 3 you mention there is an indicator on the filter that tells you when to change filter media.

I don't recommend replacing filter media unless it starts to fall apart or you have carbon (black granulated substance). Carbon is not really necessary in most aquariums, however it can be used to absorb chemicals out of the water.

The TopFin HOB filters usually have a cartridge with carbon in them. When it gets dirty, you can cut the corner open on these and tip the carbon out and through it away, then wash the cartridge in a bucket of tank water and re-use it.

If you have other types of filter materials they should be washed out in a bucket of tank water and put back in the filter. Sponges are the best type of filter media and last for many years.

Do not wash filter media in a new filter for the first 6 weeks unless you absolutely have to. This 6 week period allows the beneficial filter bacteria to grow on an din the filter media and establish there. Once the filter has been running for more than 6 weeks, you can clean the filter materials every couple of weeks.

And we expect to see pictures when you get back with Phil's new home :)

The you so much for this valuable information! You have answered many of my questions. The link you posted was exactly what I needed.
Of course I will post photos of Phil's new home and I will probably have more questions. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back