Ph Drop. Should I Be Concerned?

Xraymark

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My tank ph is measuring 6 or less according to an API tester. Tap water after 24h 6.6.

I have added crushed coral to filter but I reduced the amount recently as it was raising it to much, now it's dropped again. So I have just put more crushed coral into canister.

My question is should I be worried about the drop in ph concerning my bacteria? The tank is cycled. Will the bacteria stall or adapt to the ph?

I have tested for ammonia and I'm getting a suspicion of a green tinge. Not a difenete 0.25.

During my cycle my ph dropped to around 6.0 and stalled the cycle completely. Added some bi-carb soda to raise it and it restarted(from where it left off)

My pH crashed down to about 6 (and my tap water is 8.0!) when I was cycling. Yep add bicarb but it'll still fluctuate, so keep adding it as needed. it's such a pain in the backside when this happens!

My tank is cycled and has been fully stocked for about 3 months.  So it's not a fishless cycling question.

I'm wondering can mini cycles occur with the drop in ph due to bacteria not functioning or will they adapt to the low ph and continue to function.

lol wow that's awful two of us didn't read your post properly, tut tut. Why are you trying to alter your pH? You're usually better to just let it be whatever it comes out of your tap as, your bacteria will be fine. It's only recommended to have a higher pH when cycling as it helps the bacteria grow faster.

Initially after i finished my cycle and started to add stock I found myself in a fish in cycle due to ammonia being picked up. At the same time I noticed my ph was 6 or lower as the API tester dosen't go any lower.

At this stage I decided to add coral chips to the filter so my tank water would be close to my tap water Ph(6.6) and also keep the filter bacteria happy.

Now my PH has dropped again due to removal of some of the coral chips and I may be picking up ammonia again. I will know better tomorrow once I test again. If that is the case then a drop in Ph is linked to ammonia in my tank.

I speed read posts as well and usually miss info :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back