pH difference

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Myrkk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two tanks, a 90L and a 30L. The 90L putters along beautifully (crosses fingers) with good water parameters and a weekly water change. pH is around 7

Now I knew little tanks take more work and effort but although all water parameters are good i.e. 0 or <0.05 the pH is lower than the main tank. pH is around 5.5 - 6.

Main tank has lots of live plants, a piece of bog wood and a couple of pieces of granite in it.

Little tank has a few life plants, 3 pieces of bog wood and a couple of white stones I got from the fish shop that he said would help the pH. The stone does seem to have helped the pH it was much lower than it currently is.

However, my question is why is the little tanks pH so much lower than the main tank when it's the same water and has been cycled? And what can I do to help it? Should I remove the bogwood and just go for stones and live plants in it (I should have a plant delivery coming tomorrow or friday).

What is the pH of your tap water, both a freshly run sample, and some that has been allowed to stand for 24 hours. The stood-for-24 hours pH will show if something is lowering it in the small tank or raising it in the large tank.

Agree, we need to know the source water parameters, not only pH but GH and KH too.

While waiting for those, I have 8 tanks that have the same source water, comparable fish loads, live plants, wood--and the pH is constant at below 5 in a couple while mid 6 in one or two others. When I say constant, I mean over years. There is a lot that factors in to water chemistry and each aquarium is somewhat unique biologically. But let's start with the source water.

Immediately out of the tap is a 6pH. Will have to wait until tomorrow for the rested one

Cheers

Immediately out of the tap is a 6pH. Will have to wait until tomorrow for the rested one

Cheers

We also need the GH (general or total hardness) and KH (Alkalinity), check the website of your municipal water authority. The three are connected and affect things.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back