Ph Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

goose373

Reaction score
Recently my betta has started breathing heavy. I checked the water quality and the ph has jumped from 7.4 to 8.2.  I'm not sure if I should do anything to bring the ph down or not because I heard it was better to leave it alone. I know nutrafin makes a betta water conditioner that contains almond leaves which lower the ph. Should i try using this, leave the ph alone, or some other option? My betta is in a 5 gallon tank with a sponge filter and heater. I do water changes every week and the ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrites are 10-20. any advice would be much appreciated. 

Do you know why the ph jumped?  That would probably be the first thing to find out.  Adding things like IAL, alder cones, peat, ect will help drop the ph safely but if your water is fluctuating its ph then that may not help long term and may actually make it worse by swinging the ph too much.  You might need to have your water sit out for bit until you get a stable ph and then add to the tank each water change if you can't figure out what is causing the ph change.  
Here are some things to think about regarding your ph.

Have you tested your tap water straight from the tap?
Have you tested your tap water after it has set out for at least an hour?
Have you tester your tap water with aireation added?
Have you added anything new to your tank since the last time you checked the ph (decor of any kind, substrate change, ferts ect)?

For your betta, 
Did the rapid breathing start after a water change?
What is the temperature of the tank?
Do you get your water change water close to the tank temp before adding?
What do you feed the betta?
How much water do you change every week?

I haven't tested my water straight from the tap or after letting it sit for an hour. I haven't added anything new to his tank either. I've had this guy since december of last year and his ph has been consistent the whole time up until now. That's why it find it incredibly confusing. I'm using the same water and doing the same routine as I've been doing for 9 months. 

The rapid breathing didn't start after a water change.... I was just checking in on him like I always do through-out the day and noticed his breathing was off. I keep the tank at 79/80 degrees. I also make sure the water being added is the same temp ( i keep my apt temp the same as the bettas tank) but I also double check when adding the water that the temp isn't changing. My bettas eats brine shrimp flakes, NLS flakes and pellets, and he also eats san francisco bay frozen foods. I change about a gallon of water each week. 

I would up your water change amount to at least 2.5 gallons (50%) each week.  Smaller tanks are easier to keep "on track" with water changes of around 50%.  I would also change the food.  Flakes are not a good food for bettas.  it is extremely hard to judge the amount being fed or eaten.  Bettas are notorious for bloating and constipation so overfeeding is a common issue.  I would stick with the pellets and frozen meaty foods like brine shrimp and bloodworms occasionally as well.  Not sure about the cause of the ph change though.  Might want to check with your water company and see if they have changed anything recently.  Can you get a pic of your betta?

Thanks for your suggestions! I will definitely check with the water company and see if anything different happened with the water supply. I'll try to get a pic of my betta but it might take a day or so. One more question... would you do anything about lowering the ph or would you sort of let it work itself out?? Just curious what another betta lover would do for their own guy or gal. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back