PH BUFFER ALTERNATIVE?

happyadd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, the water that comes from my tap is quite hard and alkali...about 8.50 on the Ph to be more precise.

I have added a ph Buffer to bring it down to 6.50

I was wondering if this is a good method to use and are there any alternative methods, as the buffers really are quiet expensive to be honest. Also are there substances to reduce the hardness of the water or will dechlorinator and pH buffer make it safe for fish?

thanks

Thats good, but what is the recommended kH and gH to have. Also, will the high pH and ammonia content contribute to the fact that most of my plants have died?

These figures are just a guide - not a hard and fast rule.

KH of between 3 dH - 10 dH is usually ok for tropicals ( can be higher for certain African species ). If KH goes below 3 you need to keep an eye on PH, as this can fluctuate below this level.

GH of between 6 dH - 16 dH is considered ok ( check requirement for species ) 6 being soft and 16 being fairly hard.

As I said, this is just a guide!

Not sure about ammonia damaging your plants. They use ammonia as a source of nitrogen. How high is the ammonia in your tank?

It was only about 4.00, its less now as I paniced at have done a water change as well as adding some cycle to the water. Its really cleared the water up.

I cant be doing with this fishless cycling I just cant get it right, although my nitrite was up to 4.00 so was spiking, I'm gona leave them return to 0.00 and get a fish. I think changing the water may have messed the cycle up, i only did a 20% though.

What was worrying me was the plants all died. Even my amazonian sword has gone black, that is still in there though.

Any suggestions?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back