Pets At Home Selling Platys As Cold Water Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Spurry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi i just want to run something by you i friend at work has a small cold water setup with 2 goldfish
yesterday he told me he had been to pets at home over the weekend for a few more fish and was recomended 2 platys for his setup

now correct me if im rong but i have told him platys are tropical fish not cold water am i right?

cheers

Pet stores will tend to label fish inappropriately mainly for the fact that the average person won't know what "temperate" means. It's easier for them to say "cold water" fish or "tropical" fish rather than take the time to explain what temperate means. It's just pure laziness IMO and doesn't help at all to educate fish keepers. You should ask the manger if they would make a small sign with the definition of "temperate" on it and they could put on the tanks of all the temperate fish they sell.

Pet stores will tend to label fish inappropriately mainly for the fact that the average person won't know what "temperate" means. It's easier for them to say "cold water" fish or "tropical" fish rather than take the time to explain what temperate means. It's just pure laziness IMO and doesn't help at all to educate fish keepers. You should ask the manger if they would make a small sign with the definition of "temperate" on it and they could put on the tanks of all the temperate fish they sell.

Agreed, theres a fair few that prefer those temps :good:

I always think of Platies as temperate water fish, just like Zebra/Leopard Danios; Redline Torpedo Barbs; Peppered Corydoras etc. Such species should ideally be kept at <20C for most of the year, usually possible in a heater-less indoor tank, that will stay below 24C during the summer months.

I think technically they're "sub-tropical". I always prefer to see them sold as tropical rather than cold water though because although they'll be fine 90% of the time, some houses get very cold in winter and I don't think they'd be too happy in a tank with no heater then.

Also labelling as "cold water" you'd prob get some divs try and put them in a pond. In the north of England. In December.

I think Temperate is a good way of describing them really. They're ideal candidates for keeping at <24C along with zebra danio's and the others mentioned. I know someone who chucks all his swordtails into his pond during the summer, when they come out for the cooler months they're about 3" bigger :lol:

seen sections in pets at home of tropical fish 'bred in cold water', don't agree personally but im sure they are fine.

My corys are in 26 degree water. Heater is set to 18 as that's the lowest I can set it to and the thermometers read 25-26.Do you reckon my corys are stressed by this? (Sorry for butting in on your post Spurry!)

I have the pepper and albino type. They seem happy enough bar one pepper going to fishie heaven last night :sad: and the rainbows hassling them for food :angry:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back