Pet Fiddler Crabs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Randy Orton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was looking to set up a little aquarium (around 5.5 gallons) with fish in my room. However, while browsing what type of fish I might get, I figured why not get a fiddler crab or 2 instead? I mean, they're so much cooler than standard fish, right?

Only problem is, I have absolutely no experience as a fishkeeper.

Some people on the internet make it seem like it's pretty easy to be an owner of them. I've done my research about how they like to live (making a land part and a water part, 50% saltwater 50% freshwater, using sand, etc) but I feel like I won't be able to set it up right doing it on my own, particularly with the filters/bubble wands, water heaters, water conditioner, and all that stuff that's pretty foreign to me.

What do you guys think? Is there anything specific I need to know, or should I just drop this idea altogether and realize I'm being stupid?

I had Fiddler Crabs and they are cool to keep. They spend most of their time out of the water so you don't need much of the gear you've listed. You'll need a lid to keep the air humid and that, in turn will mean that you don't need to heat the air because the heater in the water should do the trick. You only need a basic internal or air powered sponge filter to keep the water parameters non-toxic.

Change about 50% of the water each week and treat it with a dechlorinator that also removes metals and you are a long way there.

I would recommend keeping the salinity between SG1.010- SG1.015 but don't let the salinity swing by more than SG0.002 at any water change to keep the nitrifying bacteria populations healthy.

Feed them more algae based foods with only an occassional meaty treat because they feed mainly on decaying plant matter.

The tank doesn't need to be 50-50 between water and land, the water just needs to be deep enough and large enough to house the filter and the heater and they will need a hiding place in the water for when they moult. Consider adding an iodine supplement to aid moulting. If you can slope the sand and keep it in place then great but if not you can use rocks to hold the upper bank in place, they just need to be able to get in and out easily.

Remember to fishlessly cycle your tank before adding them and to put a guard on your heater and all will be gravy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back