Peppered Cories getting darker?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello! I recently moved 9 peppered cories to a new tank. The peppered cories all look noticeably darker after being in their new home now for about a week. The old tank had play-sand and was a tan sort of color. The new tank has aquarium sand and is black. The water is harder with a higher pH as well, than what they had before. I did acclimate them very slowly and they appear to be fine. Their behavior is normal.

I did an internet search and found some folks saying that their color can change due to the substrate. But, you know, it's the internet, so I'm not sure how reliable the sources were, especially since they were just random people. Has anyone here experienced this? Also, is it just peppered cories or do others darken/lighten as well?

Thank you.

You found the right answer Becky.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Most fish adapt their colours dependent on the substrate, it is a survival tactic to help them avoid predation in the wild, darker substrates results in dark fish so they 'blend in' better.

one species more than the other, but most do adapt to the substrate more or less.

I agree with others. I experimented with this a few years back, when I moved by 70g fish (about 90 various characins and cories) into the 90g. The 70g had a substrate with a buff base colour, and the 90g had black-based substrate. The change in fish colouration (which was permanent in that tank) was quite noticeable. My panda cories darkened, and the upper tetras did too.

This is one reason why I and others keep mentioning dark substrates, and avoiding white always. These things do impact fish, and usually beyond mere appearance. You've nothing to worry about.

Byron.

127e33974b39e7790911c191f6d5f396.jpg
Though some look awesome at light substrate as well

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back