Pearl Gouramis Aggression

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

karin

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I just bought a pearl gourami male (one week ago). Beautiful fish. He is in a 36 gallon bow front with 9 flame tetras, 2 loaches, 1 bristlenose plec, and a pair of bolivian rams. The tank is well planted and sightlines are broken with wood particularly.

My problem is that the gourami is very aggressive to the rams. Now I may be a bit sensitive here. But since introducing the gourami, my rams are split with one in each corner and the gourami giving chase anytime they come out. There is some touching in combat but I see no wounds. I think it may be more likely that when the ram tries to get away he will hurt himself on some of the rock in there.

Do I just have an aggressive one? Is this likely to settle down? I feel badly for the rams stuck in their corners. I could put the gourami in my bigger tank... see my signature. Any advice?

Hey Karin

I don't have as many tanks as you but only a 125l tank. Although I have two bolivian rams (1m,1f), Apisto Macmasteri and the pearl gourami (male) along with other smaller fish. My 4 month experience has been a bit of a mixed bag. Male bolivian ram was the first in the tank and after a while i introduced the pearl gourmai and then a while later (finally when found one) introduced the female bolivian. The gourami never bothered the ram when i first introduced it and as usual was rather timid during the first week. But it quickly became very confident and rules the top levels. As you may be noticed the pearl gourami to be a very hungry fish, at least in my case and it wanders over every territory to find food. He normally gets pushed away by the rams and it generally goes away, but that would depend on his mood. Sometimes, he absolutely stands still in a face off with the rams as if he doesnt care anymore. In my case the gourami is slightly bigger than the rams though.

All of a sudden, recently one evening, i saw the two rams almost stuck to the right corner of the tank absolutely fearing for life. When i checked the tank, the gourami has absolutely gone mad and terrorising everyone in its path. My wife suggested to me that the gourami did not get enough food that day. And may be he was hungry and the rams must have bothered him when he went into their territory, so he must have lost it and chased them to hell basically. He only calmed down when i gave him a bit more food and the rams gained a bit more confidence.

After a couple of hours or so, the rams again started to slightly push him away and he seemed to be obliging. He's gone back to normal now as noted before. They do push each other, but they do also get along quite well. Rams more importantly dont tolerate him in their territory and he'll show it to them if he's pissed off (hungry).

Carl would hopefully see your thread soon, so you'll get a bit more experienced advice, but I think they should adjust and live together in my experience at least unless he's really a moody character and doesnt want to budge. Good luck!

Do I just have an aggressive one?
Not necessarily.

Is this likely to settle down?
You've only had it for one week, right? Give it more time, it will either calm down or become even more territorial and aggressive. Depends on the fish really.
I could put the gourami in my bigger tank... see my signature.
Yeah you probably can. I'm not sure if the Gourami will be safe with the Severum as I've never had Sevs before but should be ok with your other fish. But as your Pearl sounds robust then I would move him to the 60G tank :good:

Carl

Thanks for the info.

Well, I just didn't expect this kind of aggression. This is not a timid fish and was claiming the entire 36 gallon. He was really aggressive and so I took Carl's advise and he got moved. He is in the 60 gallon now. Strange to see him next to my congo tetras. One of my male congos is about 4 inches and the gourami is 3, sort of strange. Anyway, not a timid fish. He is everywhere and going up to everyone for a look-see. My angels are spawners, but just did, so won't be spawning for 2 weeks. The sev is only about 2.5 inches so just a baby yet. Lots of hiding places in this tank. I hope the gouarmi behaves, he is sooo beautiful. It is interesting that he is already staying much higher in the tank than he was in the 36 gallon. He is sort of hanging out with the congo tetras. Oops Mrs. Angel is giving him chase. My angels chase but are not too intense about it.

Sorry, I'm doing a reality TV play by play. Wish the fish luck.

Nice one Karin. Dont mind the live commentary at all :lol: . That should teach some manners to the pearl gourami :lol: Once it settles may be you can try him again in the 36G. Enjoy!! They really are fantastic fish especially as they add a new dimension with their shape and finnage

Just a report after a week. So the pearl is very much a community tank member now. He cruises around the tank, doesn't hide at all, seems to feel comfortable with everyone and has shown no aggressive/bully behavior. So the bigger tank was the solution in this case. This tank is now a bit overstocked IMO so I have some shuffling to do. I added him to the 60 gallon below.

Thanks so much for the guidance.

Karin

Great to hear, these gouramis often need larger tanks than people think they do... :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back