Pearl Gourami Gasping For Air

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Last wknd i bought 3 Pearl gouramis and 6 young angelfish as my first fish as i just finished my fishless cycle.
(I only bought 6 angels so 2 could pair up as they mature, the other 4 will be rehomed when this happens)

I wanted 2 female and 1 male Pearl Gourami but on closer inspection, it looks like i actually got 2 males and 1 female.

All the fish look healthy and seem fine except the Gouramis from time to time appear to gasp for air, the female more than the males.
The Angels dont gasp at all!

The Gouramis dont Gasp for air constantly, i would say they go up for a minute or 2 every 15 to 20 minutes.

Is this normal behaviour?

Like i said before they appear to be perfectly healthy and happy and are eating fine, infact they are greedy little buggers lol and there doesnt seem to be any signs of flashing or spots of any kind!
Also fins look healthy and are not clamped

Am i reading to much into this? I do worry alot about deseases.

Its a 260L tank, there is more than enough water agitation on the surface plus i have a 12" air stone running so oxygen is not the issue.

Water conditions are as followed
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
and PH 7.8

Thank you for your advice and time

Paul

Gouramis are anabantoids, which means they possess an organ that allows them to take oxygen from the air as well as from the water. It evolved because they naturally live in water that is very still (ripples on the water = more gas exchange, still water = less gas exchange = less oxygen in the water). Them going up to the surface to gasp air is a natural thing for them to do, as long as it's not excessive :) panic not! :good:

Gouramis are anabantoids, which means they possess an organ that allows them to take oxygen from the air as well as from the water. It evolved because they naturally live in water that is very still (ripples on the water = more gas exchange, still water = less gas exchange = less oxygen in the water). Them going up to the surface to gasp air is a natural thing for them to do, as long as it's not excessive :) panic not! :good:
Thats good to hear thank you for your advice.
I know Gouramis have the organ to take air from the surface, i just assumed that because there is enough oxygen in the water, they wouldnt need to go to the surface.
I wouldnt say its too excessive tho.

am clad i stumbled on this thread, i've been keeping an eye on my 2 gouramis all day cuz they wer going up to the surface for air, thanks cazz i didn't even know about the organ :blush:

am clad i stumbled on this thread, i've been keeping an eye on my 2 gouramis all day cuz they wer going up to the surface for air, thanks cazz i didn't even know about the organ :blush:
Yeah i do believe the 2 long things that come off of them and angelfish are breathing glands which enable them to take air from the surface of the water :rolleyes:

Gouramis and Bettas in fact both have rather underdeveloped gills and pretty much need to be able to get to the surface to get air. A tank with a very tightly fitting lid is not a good home for these kinds of fish. This is done via an organ known as a labyrinth organ, and is a defining characteristic of the family Anabantoidei.

Yeah i do believe the 2 long things that come off of them and angelfish are breathing glands which enable them to take air from the surface of the water :rolleyes:

Angelfish however are not Anabantoidei and do not get their oxygen from the air, they have to use their gills like most other fish. Angelfish are cichlids. The "long things" are just fins that have developed into feelers. Gouramis take in air from their mouth, not these long fins.

Perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about, as has been explained above.

Most reactions

Back