Particles In The Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Since I set my new tank up on saturday, there's been loads of white specs in the water. I thought they'd settle down over a day or two, but haven't.

My corys kick up a fair bit of crap, but it didn't seem this much in my last tank.

What could this be? And how can I go about improving it? Is there something I could stick in my filter to combat it? I thought the floss at the top of the filter would catch it, but it doesn't seem so..

Thanks for any advice.

Since I set my new tank up on saturday, there's been loads of white specs in the water. I thought they'd settle down over a day or two, but haven't.

My corys kick up a fair bit of crap, but it didn't seem this much in my last tank.

What do you have in your tank: substrate, fish ornaments filter.
You should not have added fish yet until the tank has matured.
Normally filters will clear initial cloudiness, but if there is excessive cloudiness
then you may have a problem. First we need more information.

How large are these white specs? Usually the water will get quite cloudy in a new aquarium due to a boom in bacterial growth (its good for the tank of course) then the water should regain clarity as the bacteria go to a more stable population, colonizing filters, gravel etc. My best guess would be your specs are normal bacteria. But if the specs are bigger I have no idea what they could be... Do you have a gravel cleaner/siphon? You could try sucking stuff from the bottom to see if that helps and do a water change. I wouldn't think your corys would throw up that much stuff unless the tank is super filthy, let us know what you find out...

What do you have in your tank: substrate, fish ornaments filter.
You should not have added fish yet until the tank has matured.
Normally filters will clear initial cloudiness, but if there is excessive cloudiness
then you may have a problem. First we need more information.

Sorry, I didn't explain my problem well enough...

The fish, plants, filter and 50% of the water was transferred from my 126ltr (cycled) tank. The filter is an Eheim Ecco 2234 with course blue pad at the bottom followed by a load of substrat pro and then floss at the top.

The water stats are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20(ish) and PH 7.

I have 15 neons, 6 corys, 1 bristlenose plec, 1 king tiger plec and a opaline gourami. Substrate is sand and fine gravel.

How large are these white specs? Usually the water will get quite cloudy in a new aquarium due to a boom in bacterial growth (its good for the tank of course) then the water should regain clarity as the bacteria go to a more stable population, colonizing filters, gravel etc. My best guess would be your specs are normal bacteria. But if the specs are bigger I have no idea what they could be... Do you have a gravel cleaner/siphon? You could try sucking stuff from the bottom to see if that helps and do a water change. I wouldn't think your corys would throw up that much stuff unless the tank is super filthy, let us know what you find out...

The white specs are very small. I have cleaned the bottom and done a small water change, to no avail.

Any ideas?

alot of filter media is course to medium in filter quality therefore lets alot of stuff through, your best bet is to get some fine sponge some aquariums sell it but I just use cheap kitchen sponges, its very fine easily cut to shape or added extra depending on size needed, I find it polishes my water in next to no time (about 6hours average for a tank with new substrate etc to very clear)

I have fine white floss in my filter.. Do you think I should add a second disc then?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back