Parrots

trevo878

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need you help...
I'm so confused about all of the different types of parrots. This is what I think...there is one type that is simply called the "parrot cichlid" and it can be found in the wild and has a sort of tan color. Then there is the jellybean parrot that is color dyed and it comes in all sorts of colors. What about the blood parrot? I'm pretty sure that this is a cross of a severum X red devil or some other cross like that but it isn't color dyed...

So, to summarize...
1. Parrot cichlid- found in wild, tannish color
2. Jellybean parrot- hybrid, color dyed
3. Blood parrot- hybrid, not color dyed

Someone please correct me because I know i'm wrong :nod:,
Trevo

Only one place around here has dyed parrots and they are bps.. not jbs..

Their dye is nothing like the ones in that picture.. its really dull and you can barely see it.

Ok...Now im really confused, so there are blood parrots that are dyed and not dyed and jellybeans that are dyed and not dyed and both of these are hybrids. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that there is a type of a parrot that can be found in the wild...

Trevo

Ok...Now im really confused, so there are blood parrots that are dyed and not dyed and jellybeans that are dyed and not dyed and both of these are hybrids. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that there is a type of a parrot that can be found in the wild...

Trevo
You can tell the difference between blood parrots and jellybeans pretty easily... jellybeans don't have the deformed mouths most BPs have, and their natural skin tone is a white-ish pink rather than orange (though BPs are starting to come in other colours now as well). The true parrot cichlid is Hoplarchus psittacus :)

Basicaly, there are 3 types of 'parrot' cichlid.

1) Hoplarchus psittacus - the wild fish
2) Jellybean parrots - a hybrid
3) Bloodparrots - another hybrid

Whether they are commonly dyed or not is irrelevant. Any fish can be dyed.

Having said that, hoplarchus psittacus, is rare in the aquarium trade so you won't find any that are dyed and they are completely unrelated to the hybrid parrots.

You will find jellybeans dyed because their naturaly light color makes them easy to dye.

And you'll find bloodparrots also dyed.

edit: terrible spelling

hey trevo878,

Hope I can clear some of this up for you.

Hoplarchus psittacus is the parrot fish found in south america. They are green and look nothing like blood parrots and there is no relation between the two.

Blood parrots, like you said, are mix between two central american cichlids most likely between red devils, midas, and severums. They come mostly in two different colors, pink, and orange. They are not found in the wild.

Jelly Bean parrots are a mix between a female blood parrot and a male convict. They turn out white so they are easy to dye. As you guessed they get their names from the bright colors that they are dyed.

Blood parrots are can also be dyed but they are not the same as Jelly Bean parrots. Hope that helps you!

dying fish injecting them with color cutting off their tails to make the look heart shape and now even tattooing them

their are so many nice fish from all parts of the world to keep why do people feel they need to make their own it really pisses me off i hate hybrids :no:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...em.php?news=790

if people stopped buying thease messed up fish then they wouldnt keep making them when will it stop just look at the link its sick

Those are funny looking..

hybrids are great.. especially parrot cichlids.. hybrid haters stand down.

I agree! Remember the no flamming rule, don't got something good to say, don't say it.

I love Parrots. I think they look great and are very graceful. I see no difference in breeding two different kinds of dogs and breeding two different kinds of fish. People don't complain about muts do they? Why fish?

The sight that was posted is horrible! I've never seen Parrots so horribly colored! and the lips! its terrible! it think it should be illegal to this to fish.

viva la italia! I have no idea if i said that right Anyways I think that dyed fish looks horrible and ugly-what person would actually want a fish like that? They are so gorgeous without all the color and mistreatment.

Most reactions

Back