Panda Cory For 5 Gal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlitaConejita

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 5 gallon (uncycled) tank with 2 ADFs. They are pretty messy and I was looking for something to help with cleanup. I'd settled on ghost shrimp, but the LFS I went to said the ADFs would eat them and recommended a panda Cory instead. I couldn't ask a lot of questions because I had my kids with the and they were going in all directions :/.

What do you think, should I go with a Cory instead?

Tank is kept at 80-82 F and has a sponge filter. The substrate is a mixture of river stones and pebbles. Plants are just java moss and Marimo balls as the tank doesn't get a lot of light.

No, Panda Corries get too big and require a school of at least 6 fish.  You'd be better off with Pygmy Corries or snails.

.......besides, you should wait until your tank is fully cycled before adding any fish at all.

I am waiting till the tank is cycled - I just want to be prepared :)

I am on day 33 of cycling my 10 gal (planning to then use media from that tank to quickly cycle the 5 gal) BUT that isn't going well. - no nitrites so far :(

Be patient, add a little more media from the cycled tank over time.

Five gallon tanks are great for Betas, shrimp, snails, microrasboras, tiny Tetras and such.  Lots of plants will help too.  Maybe a small school of Otos and a Betta?  Or you could just keep a few Guppies with some Pygmy Corries.........

I've jump-started all my tanks from a single donor 20 gallon high back in the day.  I have it down to a bit of a science, lol.  I'm sure you can spike a 5 gallon using media from a 10 that's completely cycled.

Most reactions

Back