P. Demasoni Species Tank, Planning Stages

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dthoffsett

I'm a girl . . . yup, definitely a girl. =)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This will probably be a long post so extra brownie points to anyone who hangs in for the ride. :fun:

Over a year ago I started trying to get a job out of state (Wyoming), in anticipation of the move, last May I sold all of my tanks. Well it's finally happened, I'm in the hiring process for a new job, I've got a conditional offer of employment and I'll be in Wyoming all next week finishing out my testing. If I pass (don't worry I will), I should be moving in August or the first of September at the latest!!! :shout:

I've really missed having a mbuna tank and so I will be setting one up as soon as I'm finished painting. I'll probably be painting the whole interior so it'll be awhile before the tank gets set up, and of course it will need to cycle, but I'm planning to buy all of the equipment at the same time I buy furniture so I thought I'd pop up a not so little thread to get everything laid out.

Initially I had wanted to get a 6 or 8ft tank and stock it with Pseudotropheus crabro, however, water prices in Wyoming are very high due to very little rain so I'll need to start small and see how much a tank will affect my water bill. Since I got into mbuna I've wanted P.demasoni and since they can handle a smaller tank I thought this would be the time to go for it.

So here are the specs:

TANK
Either 40 gallon breeder 36" x 18" x 16"
or 40 gallon long 48" x 12" x 16"

I can't really decide which one to get, I like the long because of the 4ft length but I also like that the breeder is deeper which makes scaping easier. Now you may ask yourself why not get a 55gal after all it's only 15 gallons more, well TBH 15 gallons can make a lot of difference when you are doing larger water changes and since I'm trying to cut water costs it's worth it to go smaller.

FILTRATION/CIRCULATION
Fluval 405 with a spray bar - rated at 340gph
2 submersible pumps with pre-filter sponge, either Rio 1100 Plus (382gph) or Rio 1200 Plus (420gph)
Giving me a grand total of approximately 1104 - 1180 gph or a turn over of 27-29 times per hour

Now that sounds like a huge turnover, however as we know the Fluval will never reach the maximum gph once packed with media and the submersibles will be diffused by the pipe work on the Undergravel Jet system (UGJ) I'm going to install, the rocks will also block some of the flow. I'm thinking a jet in each corner and two in the middle to hopefully keep the substrate clean enough that I won't have to vacuum it, just rinse out the pre-filter sponges. This should also keep my cannister cleaner for longer.

SUBSTRATE AND DECOR
ROCKS - I'm thinking of going with Texas Holey Rock, I found a site with reasonable prices and I thought the dems would be small enough to utilize the holes as well as really stand out against the white rock. Or I may go cheaper and get some free rock while taking a "walk". :hey: It just depends on what I can find. I do like the buffering capacity of the limestone as Wyoming water is very soft.
SUBSTRATE - this is going to depend on the rock I get. If I get the holey rock I'll go with the sand version of Eco-Complete African Cichlid. If I get dark rock, I'll go with aragonite sand. I've used it in the past, just didn't like that poo and other debris really stands out on it, but the UGJs should take care of that.

STOCKING
15 Pseudotropheus demasoni (Pombo Rocks)
Possibly a trio of Synodontis Petricola

Like I said it's going to be a species tank, I was thinking of adding the S.petricola to help clear up any fry as I don't want the dems to over populate the tank, but I'm not sure how they would fare.

EVERYTHING ELSE
Lighting will be fluorescent, I'm cheap so once the stock bulb goes bad I'll replace it with a kitchen bulb from the store.
Heating will be one of the Visitherm Stealth heaters, I've used them in the past and always liked them.
Thermometer will be digital.
I'll be using a Python for water changes.
The stand will be store bought, I could probably build my own but it would never look as nice.

QUESTIONS
I have several:
1. Tank - should I go longer or wider?

2. Filtration - will it be overkill with the submersible pumps? I don't want to blow the dems all over the tank, but I really want the UGJ system and would like to have enough of a turnover to perhaps do smaller water changes.

3. Stocking - Will the S.petricola be able to handle the dems or am I better off without them?

Any other questions or comments on my plans are welcome and if you've made it this far I applaud your perseverance. :clap:

-Dawn

QUESTIONS
I have several:

2. Filtration - will it be overkill with the submersible pumps? I don't want to blow the dems all over the tank, but I really want the UGJ system and would like to have enough of a turnover to perhaps do smaller water changes.

3. Stocking - Will the S.petricola be able to handle the dems or am I better off without them?

Any other questions or comments on my plans are welcome and if you've made it this far I applaud your perseverance. :clap:

-Dawn

1. Completely personal choice - no real benefit to the fish either way. I would choose the 48 long from a display point of view
2. Definitely not overkill - can't see any problem
3. The Petricola should be fine if you get them at a decent size - don't mix adult Dems with juvie Petricola and you should be fine. :good: To be honest, the Dems will probably ignore the catfish anyway

Glad to see you're planning a tank again and what an excellent choice! :D

Thanks Ferris, I was hoping you'd wander across this before too long. :good:

I'm looking forward to setting it up, it'll probably be 6 months or more before it's done, but it's something to look forward to. :nod:

One more question, do you think I should go with the Rio 1100 (382gph) or the 1200 (420gph) pumps?

Very little difference between the 2 but IMO - bigger is nearly always better with filtration so, depending on the price difference, i would get the 1200.

QUESTIONS
I have several:

-Dawn

1. As said before, I'd go with the longer for display purposes really, and it gives the catfish more to explore.

2. Should be fine, Dems and the Syno's are hardy :D.

3. I had Dem's with my Syno's and firstly can I say that S. Petricola are my favourite catfish, they are extremely beautiful and if kept in groups of 3+ are extremely active. I would go with the Syno's they really finish a tank off, my Dem's got on fine with them.

I look forward to seeing your tank finished :D.

Thanks Ferris and Ace, I'm really looking forward to eventually setting this tank up.

In fact, I'm in Wyoming right now, just couldn't live without my computer or TFF for a week. :rolleyes: :lol:

I've finished all of my testing and while the official paperwork needs to be sent to my future boss, I do know that I passed all of the tests! :shout: So, hopefully next week or the week after I'll have my official start date and can get going on buying a house, not to mention packing. :sick:

On a side note, I hope none of you ever have the occasion to need a polygraph test, they really really suck. :grr: :lol: So everyone, be good and don't break the law. :nod:

Oh, and so this will remain on a fishy topic, tomorrow I'll be going around to the different LFS here to see if I'll be able to buy anything local or if I'll have to order it all. I went to the local mall today and saw one of their LPS, it was very sad, small, overcrowded, stunk, kittens/puppies/rats in dirty cages and around 15 tanks with the usual suspects. Goldfish, tetras, common livebearers, glowlight danios and what I'm sure was a dyed parrot. Definitley won't be going there again. :no:

Well, this seems to have gone from a question post to a journal. :lol: Might as well be, Ferris if you come by can you move this to the journal section?

So, I'm back in Kansas, have been since Friday the 17th. And yesterday (it's Wed at 0522 here) I got the phone call.

I GOT THE JOB!!! :D :nod: :hooray: :kana: :kana: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I'm so darned excited I can barely control myself (as the smilies show). My start date will be Sept 1 or a little later if my house buying and move don't go as quickly as planned. So in a little over a month I should at least have the beginnings of the fish tank (have to keep it fishy related you know :hey: ).

So, if you don't see me on here much for the next 6-8 weeks you'll know why. So much to do, pack, schedule movers, buy a house, get moved in, buy furniture, start my new job. :S It's going to be a stressfull and exciting couple of months. :good:

Edit: Oops forgot to add, I think I'm going to go with a Hydor in line heater to help keep the clutter in the tank lower. I'm also thinking of going with the shorter 40gal because I may try my hand at a DIY background and with it taking up some extra room I think going deeper instead of longer will be necessary. :good:

Yay, Nice One Dthoffsett!, Now you can definatley do this tank right :D?

Yay, Nice One Dthoffsett!, Now you can definatley do this tank right :D ?

Yes Ace, I'll finally be setting up a tank. :p

When i think of an all demasoni tank i think all chaos is about to erupt. Demasoni hate eachother dont they? So they will constantly be fighting, sure one will get lost in the crowd but it will just find another one to fight with?
The over crowding will stop certain fish getting singled out but surely its going to be very firey in there? Maybe thats all part of the charm?

They don't hate each other, there is just very high competition for mating rights and territory so they "bicker" a lot. As long as you have enough of them in it's not as likley that anyone will get picked on too much. And yes that's part of the charm, I'm certainly not some sadistic person that just wants to watch fish tear each other apart, but their antics are quite amusing.

Thanks for the congrats! :good:

I'm certainly not some sadistic person

O'really... :shifty:

I've always wanted to try a tank like this, even though I have gone off African Cichlids I found the colour of a Hyped up male Demasoni to be unmatchable, that shade of blue, white and purple is just medal worthy...

It's been awhile since I update this. No new fishy news except I got a house! I still have to do the inspections and closing, but I'm one step closer to setting up my tank. On a disappointing note, there are no LFS in town worth looking at so either I'll have to drive to Denver, CO (90 minutes away) or order a tank and fish. :angry:

sounds like its going to be a awesome tank. ever since i had a few dems in my mixed african tank i have always wanted to set up a species tank with them as the focal point. awesome fish :good:

sounds like its going to be a awesome tank. ever since i had a few dems in my mixed african tank i have always wanted to set up a species tank with them as the focal point. awesome fish :good:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to eventually putting it together, it'll be awhile yet as I want to do this right.

So on to my setup changes:

TANK
Standard 55 gallon 48 x 12 x 21

I've changed to a 55gal because I'm not able to source the 40. It'll be a month or two before I order it as I don't have in room in the living room at the moment. :crazy: Once I finally get the majority of the boxes in there unpacked I'll be able to order.

FILTRATION/CIRCULATION
Fluval FX5
2 submersible pumps with pre-filter sponge, Rio 1200 Plus (420gph)

With the tank upgrade I've decided to upgrade the filter as well, I found an FX5 on ebay for $199 so I can get a bigger filter cheaper than the Eheim I was originally looking at. Still looking at a turnover of around 27 times per hour.

STOCKING
20 - 25 Pseudotropheus demasoni
5 Synodontis petricola

Well since the tank will be larger, of course I have to add more fish. :lol:

The only other changes may be the decor, I'd still like to go with the eco-complete substrate, but after seeing HappyGeorge's diy background, I think I might give that a try. This is going to be a show tank in my formal living room so I'm really going to take my time with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back