Oxygenating vase

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

_fish_a_holic_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 1.5L vase right in front of my computer with marbles on the bottom, a thermometer, and a heater (when necessary). It contains one balloon molly, my favourite & first, Prego -- although she's never had fry! She just looked pregnant when I first saw her (but don't all balloons?!)

There is no permanent airpump but I do daily water checks and water changes.

My questions:
** Is this setup OK? Or would she need an airpump at all times? (I do put a battery-operated airpump on when I'm away from the computer or asleep). When I'm at the computer I have a 30mL syringe with a short length of airline & airstone attached to it, which I pump air into the vase while waiting for pages to load, and while giving my wrist regular rests from typing, etc. BTW, I'm spending a LOT of time on the computer. I'd estimate up to 50% of my day.

** Does she need an airpump at all?

So far she's fine and quite happy to watch me type away (two days after I put her in there). She behaves like the other mollies in my livebearer tank, with no sign of laboured breathing etc.

Would I better off doing this with a labyrinth fish such as a betta? (I'd really prefer to watch Prego or a trio of neons instead).

Should I be reported to the RSPCF (Royals Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Fish -- I just made that up) for even attempting this? :no:

I have no idea how much oxygen I need to provide, there is no way to really measure it, right?

Thanks in advance.

is there a particular reason you don't run the airstone at all times? if you were to run an airstone in there, my only concern would be water quality. you'd really need to do almost 100% changes every few days, just like with a betta bowl. (i personally think that's kind of a pain, but that's just me ;) )

you probably should run the airpump 24-7 lest you forget one night or a weekend out of town.

is there a particular reason you don't run the airstone at all times?
She actually gets quite upset when I run air in there (hides behind the heater, not moving), and then perks up when I'm done messing with her. I've stopped doing the airpump thing and pumping in air every once in a while with the syringe (it's 60mL, not 30mL). I don't use an airstone, it's a small circle of air curtain stuff that bends. She likes to swim through the circle like a circus tiger jumping through a ring of fire...

Also, the only spare airpump I have is a battery powered one that is so very noisy.
if you were to run an airstone in there, my only concern would be water quality. you'd really need to do almost 100% changes every few days, just like with a betta bowl. (i personally think that's kind of a pain, but that's just me )
I would never do a 100% water change..... and besides I don't mind maintainence, it's rather soothing. I also think that it's a privilege to scoop dog and cat poop at work (I'm a vet nurse). Yeah, I'm wierd :alien:

Most reactions

Back