overstocking....?

titus

Reaction score
We are fishlessly cycling our Vision 180 litre tank (48 US gallons), which we are planting in the next week. I think the dimensions are in cm - 50ish x 90ish x 55(height). We are seeking advice to check we are not overstocking BEFORE we buy!!!
We plan:
1 pair angels
1 pair DWARF gouramis
4 small corys
2 dwarf otinculus for algae (bad spelling?)
6 cardinals
6 other small tetras
4 platties

I think that is just right - I do not think we will be able to get more in. But have we too much already....? :S :S :S

Thanks in advance

Sounds find to me.

I agree, sounds OK. :)

titus said:
We plan:
1 pair angels
1 pair DWARF gouramis
4 small corys
6 cardinals
6 other small tetras
4 platties

Thanks in advance
General rule of thumb: 1 Inch of fish to 1 gallon of water.

Remember that the fish will start out small but will grow quite rapidly. Use the adult size to determine if your stocking plans are okay.

The only problem I see isn't with overstocking but with what you are stocking. Angel's will (or potentially will) eat smaller fish that will fit in their mouths. You shouldn't ever put neons with angels. Cardinals are pretty thin tetras too so you could possibly have a problem somewhere down the line. I have heard people say that if they started at the same size and grew up together, that the angels wouldn't bother them but most people say that when the angels get full grown at 6" or so, they will definitely eat them if they can catch them.

Also, the corys are schooling fish and would work better with 6 of those just like the tetras. And be careful what the other kind of tetra is. Some tetras like serpaes and bucktooth (there may be others but I know of those 2 for sure) are notorius fin nippers and will harass your angels.

Thanks for the replies so far......
I new the problems with Angels and neons, but thought that cardinals (being a little bigger) might not end up as lunch - sounds as though this might not be the case :(
The other type of tetra we were considering were either diamond/ silver tipped tetra, or rosy tetra - small in length but a bit wider for Angels! They also seem not to be fin nippers.
I understand the bit about corys and will add 2 more....

Thanks - any more advice will be gratefully received!!

webcat5 said:
titus said:
We plan:
1 pair angels
1 pair DWARF gouramis
4 small corys
6 cardinals
6 other small tetras
4 platties

Thanks in advance
General rule of thumb: 1 Inch of fish to 1 gallon of water.

Remember that the fish will start out small but will grow quite rapidly. Use the adult size to determine if your stocking plans are okay.
That doesn't always apply to all fish though. Cichlids need a little more space because of agression and mostly have to be in species only tanks.

Your plans look good :)

Another option for a small schooling fish is the harlequin rasbora. Their taller body makes them not so neon-like :p

have to admit we thought hard about the harlequin rasbora.....I guess that they might not be eaten by angels? (so may replace cardinals)

Harlequins won't get eaten and are great schoolers.

Thank you for your help everyone....
It looks like the final list will be:
1 pair angels
3 DWARF gouramis (1m, 2f)
6 small corys
4-6 dwarf otinculus for algae
8 harlequins
6 other small tetras
4 platties

Most reactions

trending

Staff online