Overstocked?/

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

The one inch per gallon rule is *usually* a generous understocking. If you have peaceful fish that aren't nippy and aren't territorial, and aren't over active, you can allow 10 square inches of water surface for each fish (excluding tail) Ex: 24 X 12 inch aquarium = 288/10 or 28 inches of fish (calculation comes from Tropical Aquarium Fish by Dr. Andrews/Dr Baensch)

Though this is ONLY for small peaceful fish like tetras. A shoal of white clouds and a couple cories would be good as the white clouds are mid-water dwelling, and catfish lower and will not bother each other.

are you over stocked no but only just,but some of your fish are shoaling fish and must be kept in groups (im just as bad i only have 2 danios they seem fine though happy enough to shole together they dont seem a scared fish i have long finned ones and its quit funny they go around slapping my clown loachs in there face with there tails lol. coolie loach dosnt have to be in groups as they are not a shoaling fish and there not part of the 1inch of fish rule as they are a very very slim body fish i have 4 and you never see them together,have you got any live plants in your tank addind some might create a larger tank in the eyes of your fish places to hide,i wouldnt get any more fish if i were you till you rehome some or maybe get a bigger tank?

Umm the inch per gallon guideline applies to slim-bodied fish so khulies do count. In fact, the inch epr gallon guideline doesn't apply to fish over 2" that are much thicker-bodied than a neon. It isn't an accurate guideline and, actualy, by that guideline, you are over-stocked:

2 zebra danios - 3"
2 corys (1 albino, the other unknown) - 4" (at least)
2 fancy guppies - 2"
1 white cloud - 1"
1 loach of some sort, always swims on bottom and hides alot - 3"
3 ghost shrimp

total: 13" and do consider displacement from ornaments/substrate and the 3 shrimp (though the shrimp I don't count myself)

Oh and I should add that, like I said before, people seem to be just focusing on the bio-load side of things. Over-stockign is not just that - it's activity levels, general requirements and so on as well.

sylvia said:
Umm the inch per gallon guideline applies to slim-bodied fish so khulies do count.
i would really have to disagree ...it is simply ridiculous to say that a 4" khuli can be compared to a 4" danio concerning waste produced

abstract, she also pointed out that the rule can't apply to fish over 2 inches that are thicker bodied than a neon. I think a 4 inch danio would be considerably thicker bodied than a neon. *grin*

sylvia said:
How long have you had these cories? Albino cories are usualy the albino version of the bronze cory - croydoras aenus. These cories can get to between 2" and 3". They DO need a bigger tank than 10 gallons.
now they dont :p check your info again sweety

Right...
I think you can probably get away with a trio of cories in there. Danios and WCMM, no. Believe me, I have 9 in my 20 gallon and they are so active I really think they could do with bigger :) They also need to be in groups of about 6, as said before. The guppies, you can probably keep. Khuli loach, again, needs to be in groups. So, what I think would work out nicely is a trio of cories and a small group of guppies. I think its unfair on the khuli and danios to be kept in such small groups in such a small tank. Or, you can take back the guppies as well and have a trio of cories and a school of tetras. My minds gone blank so I'm not sure if you can add anything else to what I've suggested.

Kerryk said:
The one inch per gallon rule is *usually* a generous understocking. If you have peaceful fish that aren't nippy and aren't territorial, and aren't over active, you can allow 10 square inches of water surface for each fish (excluding tail) Ex: 24 X 12 inch aquarium = 288/10 or 28 inches of fish (calculation comes from Tropical Aquarium Fish by Dr. Andrews/Dr Baensch)
I agree with this, I've heard this is a much more accurate way of stocking an aquarium from several sources. ;)

i also agree that the using the surface area (since that is where gas exchange occurs) is probably a much better guideline than inches per gallon or square inches per gallon

Most reactions

Back