Ottos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ness

Reaction score
Hello
After a bad experience with a sucking loach which ended in a gourami dying and the sucking loach being given to lfs :-( I decided to buy an otto (oto?) to control the algae in my 12 gall tank. He's a funky little fella and seems to be happy enough and doesn't cause any probs with any other fish. On reading more about them its suggested they prefer to be in groups but on the other hand they are so efficient at their job that its also suggest the algae in a small tank is only enough to support one.
My tank is pretty fully stocked so I'm not looking to get more fish but I don't want him to be pining, as I have also since found out they just die for no reason :look:
Any help gratefully received
Ness x

Hi...not really an expert about such things but I do think otos like having company of other otos - I have 3 and they usually hang out together...plus they don't seem to get too big (at least lengthwise - mine just grow sideways - eat alot!) and at least in my tank don't really seem to affect algae growth - still have to scrape my tank weekly but they are fat and sassy so must be eating something...if you are worried about a lack of food for them pick up a pack of algae wafers - should survive on those (my pack has been unopened after 2 months though because they are not starving in my overfed tank!) If your tank is already fully stocked a couple little guys shouldn't make too much of an impact even in your small tank (I have a 37 gallon) - especially because of the mystery deaths that seem to occur (I bought 5 - now have 3 - no other fish ever died) Hope that helps!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back