Otto

juhill

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I'm waiting for my tank to fishless cycle and am currently planning my fish!

I think I'd like to get a couple of Ottos but do I need to be careful what I have on the bottom of the tank for certain types of fish?

thanks

Oto's really aren't suitable for a newly cycled tank as they are very delicate and sensitive to water quality. (I say this from experience - I had and lost Oto's as a beginner... :/ )

They are also algae eaters and so you need to have some algae to help them. Substrate doesn't matter as much for them as they tend to hang on the glass (they're not bottom feeders) but they really prefer broad leafed plants to stay on.

hope this helps

Oto's really aren't suitable for a newly cycled tank as they are very delicate and sensitive to water quality. (I say this from experience - I had and lost Oto's as a beginner... :/ )

They are also algae eaters and so you need to have some algae to help them. Substrate doesn't matter as much for them as they tend to hang on the glass (they're not bottom feeders) but they really prefer broad leafed plants to stay on.

hope this helps

Thanks, it has helped. I'm probably going to start with a few danios then add from there. Things I like keep changing. So far I like (I know these aren't all compatible) zebra/leopard danios, ottos, cardinals harlequins, dwarf blue gourami, adf and betta (will prob get separate tank for the betta).

Most reactions

Back