Otos, plecs and algae

Reaction score
I added three otos to my tank yesterday; I've never kept them before - well, I'm hoping to keep them, anyway, I've heard lots of stories about otos not surviving very long. My first question is about their diet. I've got lots of live plants, but also lots of algae, in particular a lot of hair algae. Will they eat this, and if so do I need to supplement their diet while there's a lot of it around to give them some variety?

Second, I plan to put one or two of the small plecs in the tank at some point. One possibility is a pair of bristlenoses. Alternatively, is there a small plec that doesn't mind being on its own? And are any of them particularly good at eating algae, or is it just the clown plec that won't and all the rest will?

I think otos will eat algae most of the time given the chance. I am not sure on what plecs will eat algae, some will when younger but not when older. Farlowella catfish eat algae. Maybe they'd be an idea.

I have 2 plecs, one L134 and one L052 and they seem ok alone but I don't know if they eat algae, the L052 might.

Thanks CS, they're certainly busying themselves around the tank so far. Very cute little fish :wub: A farlowella would be a thought, yes - choices, choices, I want them all! :)

I have found that the better algae eating plecs are the ones from the family Ancistrus.... which is the bristlenoses and etc... most stay at a managebale size too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back