OTO's not touching brown algae.

Socrates

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IT sounds stupid, but I got all excited when I noticed that brown algae had taken over a couple of my decorations.

I got excited because I was looking for an excude to buy a couple of oto's.

I got 2 of them in a 40 gallon US. But so far they haven't touched the brown algae. They spend all there time "wiggling' up and down the sides of the tank which just don't look like they have any food on them to me. They also don't go anywhere near algae wafers.

Should I worry yet?

I understand sometimes oto's will move into a new tank and just go ahead and starve to death. Anything I can do?

Unfortunately, brown algae isn't the most appetizing form of algae (diatoms, really).

You could try growing algae on rocks out in a bucket under sunlight, but the otos would die before getting sufficient algae. They might eat the algae wafers after dark, or you could try shrimp pellets. :/

Yes, I know it's diatoms, but the funny thing is that source after source that I've looked at about the stuff and also many of the sources about Oto's say that they are supposed to love this stuff.

Oh well. More bad info being propgated I guess.

Caught them!

They are in fact eating the brown "algae".

I now realize this as the glass on the left side of the tank is now showing the beginnings of a thin coating but the right side where the two Oto's spend all there time is sparkling clean.

I think I'm going to need a couple more of these guys, but I need to wait and see how my bio-filter handles the load of fish I already have.

i have this problem but have coldwater fish tank only 6 weeks old

2 rudd
2tench
1 barbal
1 gundeton

all small fish what can i do

Most reactions

Back