severum, chocolate cichlid, blue acara, geophagus, paratilapia bleekeri

Avoid large very aggressive fish from central american like jack dempsey, red devil, and jaguar.

Also, I'm sure that this has been mentioned already, but anything that fits in its mouth is food.
Yes literally love all of these fish! I’ve got a pair of electric blue acaras set up in a 35 gallon that breed ALL THE TIME, they’re so aggressive when they’re breeding :rolleyes: Chocolate cichlids are another one of my favourites but I cannot find them anywhere. If I could find them they’d definitely be in my tank!
Any ideas on the types of geophagus I could keep and also how many? I love the orange head tapajos but compatibility wise I’m not too sure how they’d go with oscars.

In your tank I like the idea of Severums. The birchir are fine but pretty boring, they really just sit all day. Pink tailed chalceus would be really cool. Size wise your Oscars are still babies. In a tank that size you could get a couple more. I had a mate he had 5 full grown Oscars in a 6' tank it was really cool. They would play fight all day. Nothing like two full grown Oscars mouth wrestling.
Hahah yeah I was originally gonna go for an Oscar only tank but the two other oscars I had just caused wayyy too many problems. It’s crazy how one Oscar can be a killing machine whilst another can be completely chilled out. If I did go with severums how many would you recommend?

Yes literally love all of these fish! I’ve got a pair of electric blue acaras set up in a 35 gallon that breed ALL THE TIME, they’re so aggressive when they’re breeding :rolleyes: Chocolate cichlids are another one of my favourites but I cannot find them anywhere. If I could find them they’d definitely be in my tank!
Any ideas on the types of geophagus I could keep and also how many? I love the orange head tapajos but compatibility wise I’m not too sure how they’d go with oscars.
I would leave your blue acaras alone to enjoy their space together

Hahah yeah I was originally gonna go for an Oscar only tank but the two other oscars I had just caused wayyy too many problems. It’s crazy how one Oscar can be a killing machine whilst another can be completely chilled out. If I did go with severums how many would you recommend?
4 or 5 Have you seen the photo of mine, they were so cool together, and really happy in a fish kind of way. Have a look at "Severums having fun"

4 or 5 Have you seen the photo of mine, they were so cool together, and really happy in a fish kind of way. Have a look at "Severums having fun"
Wowee their colouring looks awesome! I particularly like your gold severums! If I added severums to my tank 4-5 gold or red spotted severums would look pretty cool alongside my albino oscars

Wowee their colouring looks awesome! I particularly like your gold severums! If I added severums to my tank 4-5 gold or red spotted severums would look pretty cool alongside my albino oscars
Amazing. That was a cool tank, it was a Hire aquarium I set up the severums just kept breeding if you look closely there are fish of all different sizes they are from one pair, multiple spawnings and raising a few each time. We ended up with about 30 fish in that tank it was hectic, since it was only a 4 footer. Have a look over the back there is two jewel cichlids as well, some how they held there own!!!

Just made a cuppa and thought that I should add. I'm not great for testing, I look at the fish if they are happy the tank is happy. Any how after about 4 years the tank needed to be removed, so I arranged with someone to take all the fish. Thought I had better do a test, the pH was low 5's. It was then I realized that I had never had a sick fish, There was zero ammonia and at that pH the tank would never get an ammonia spike. An interesting thought.

Just made a cuppa and thought that I should add. I'm not great for testing, I look at the fish if they are happy the tank is happy. Any how after about 4 years the tank needed to be removed, so I arranged with someone to take all the fish. Thought I had better do a test, the pH was low 5's. It was then I realized that I had never had a sick fish, There was zero ammonia and at that pH the tank would never get an ammonia spike. An interesting thought.
Wow that is very interesting... it’s great that they were all still happy and that the severums were able to breed! I’d love to try something like that however with my oscars in the tank it’s probably best to maintain my ph at around 7

Wow that is very interesting... it’s great that they were all still happy and that the severums were able to breed! I’d love to try something like that however with my oscars in the tank it’s probably best to maintain my ph at around 7
How many Oscars do you have

Sorry mind blank, re read the thread. Any how I have a moment so will tell you a funny story. I had a pair of Oscars and a friend wanted them so I said fine, his wife hated them so they ended up at the back of his garage, then they started to lay eggs, he would ring me up all excited, then he would drive his car into the garage, and they would eat the eggs. He never made the connection between the two things, and the Oscars only ever laid eggs and ate them

Most reactions

Back