Opaline Gourami Turning Black

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ArauraDiscus

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Oddly enough, my opaline gourami is becoming all black. he is as happy as ever. The black markings are apparently coloring and nothing else, but I'm lookind to shed some light on this. Ph is 7.4, Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40. This color change comes on the heels of being moved from a 55 gallon tank to a 46 gallon.

any pictures? cause when my gourami entered an uncycled tank (big mistrake before finding this forum) he had black patches, as if he was turning black, and we could only take it to be ammonia burns.

Again the ammonia and nitrites are both 0, its a 46 gallon and has been up and running for 2 years non stop. Well cycled I believe. I will try to get a pic with my cell phone, but he constantly moves and my cell phones pics are grainy. But I'll see what i can do.

oh im sorry. i read your post but went straight into what was wrong with mine.

I also came across something called myxobacteriosis when my gourami was ill. It turns the fish black too i believe. Infact, it was searching for that when i came across this forum! very uncommon though, just thought id throw another idea in.

My dwarf male turns from blue to partly black when he is stressed, or gets into breeding condition. Maybe the change to the other tank caused the colour change. If it is the same effect as with mine, it should be temporal though.

Yeah you guys were right, it's faded back down. He looks normal again, that was odd though. I never new gouramis could change color on the dermis, I though that was something only scaleless fish could do.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back