One gallon aquarium

Koda

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got one with a small pump and undergravel filter...just sort of a grate that goes under the gravel and a tube where the airstone goes in.My concern is that it may actually be a bit much for a betta who is used to still waters.The entire surface of the water is a mass of bubbles.I could crimp the line and slow it down if needed.

I wondered if anyone else has used a setup like this and if so, what your experience has been? I'd like to go ahead and put the fish in but I want to be sure it will be ok for him.Thanks...

Koda

Why bother with a filter for such a small container? It would be easier doing a once-a-week water change. The only 1-gallon I know that is suitable for a filter is the Azoo Candy Vase tank.

I'd still be doing regular water changes.I just got it for the foster betta because I wanted something better than the vase/plant he is in but I didn't have a lot to spend.But this was around 10 bucks...not a whole lot more than some large fishbowls.But then again,a 10g aquarium is not that expensive either.Hey...(DOH...smacks her head)I could get a 10g and use the pump and airstone for it and have a nice new home for...well...for someone... :D

Hmmmm....I foresee a trip to the pet aisle :D :rolleyes:

Koda

i have one of those, kinda triangular shaped? with the itty bitty undergravel filter? put in a handful of gravel from my big cycled tank, i love it. my betta has always been happy in there. also have a 1.6 gal hex with the same setup. i change about 50% water once a week or so, but have let it go longer and still all water tests are perfect. i just feel better knowing if i get lazy my fish will still have nontoxic water. course a 10 gal starter set from walmart is not much more money :D

You have to get a gang valve to settle down the bubbles. my brother just got one of those and I have two that are vacant but will soon hold bettas. as long as turn the gang valve to a place where the bubbles don't cause a bad current in the water then your betta will be fine.

what is the azoo candy vase? can you send me a link to a pic maybe? never heard of it-but it sounds interesting.

I've got the same tank as you, Koda. I bought a valve that I attach to the tubing so the flow is not as great.

I have the same tank :D

I just took out the tube and the grate and pump. I don't think they need it.

jacblades said:
what is the azoo candy vase? can you send me a link to a pic maybe? never heard of it-but it sounds interesting.
This.... (inside is First Lady, my first female betta; I got her back in December)

post-22-1085687688.jpg

Well...maybe hesitation is a good thing.I'd not yet moved the betta and I noticed my lyretail molly seems stressed or sick.So I moved him instead.I'm not sure there is any hope but at least he isn't being picked at by the other inhabitants.

Thanks for the info....

Koda

I also have a one gal with the undergravel "filter". I don't use the filter in the cold months as I have no heater for it and the disturbance of the water would cool off the water too fast IMO. I use the lighted hood as his heater.

Right now I'm using my Undergravel "filter" and the bubble tube is really pushed down tight to the bottom. I'm holding the tube down with smooth larger gravel stones. I have some of those smooth stones at the bottom of his tank as well. I think you know the kind I'm talking about.... they're in the brown tones, and kind of like beach stones and smooth that are sold at the LFS.

The water disturbance is not too bad at all because I think that the stones in the tube kind of pinch off the soft tube. Also, the stones in there make that ugly hard tube in the middle look nice, sort of like a sculpture instead of so utilitarian.

Dang I'm long winded!!!

Loboto Me

I also have a one gal with the undergravel "filter". I don't use the filter in the cold months as I have no heater for it and the disturbance of the water would cool off the water too fast IMO. I use the lighted hood as his heater.

Right now I'm using my Undergravel "filter" and the bubble tube is really pushed down tight to the bottom. I'm holding the tube down with smooth larger gravel stones. I have some of those smooth stones at the bottom of his tank as well. I think you know the kind I'm talking about.... they're in the brown tones, and kind of like beach stones and smooth that are sold at the LFS.

The water disturbance is not too bad at all because I think that the stones in the tube kind of pinch off the soft tube. Also, the stones in there make that ugly hard tube in the middle look nice, sort of like a sculpture instead of so utilitarian.

Dang I'm long winded!!!

Loboto Me

I have that exact same tank too ( 7 of them actually) and my boys love it. The current doesn't seem to bother them and they are very active all the time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back