One dead every seven days.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Camitoe

Reaction score
Hello- I'm not sure this is urgent because if history repeats itself, we will have another 7 days before I lose a fish, but here goes nothing. I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with perfect parameters and temperature between 70 6 to 78° f. The tank is established and has been running well over a year. Until recently, it was composed of a male betta, two more guppies, 1 more platy and five more neon tetras. Currently in the community is one ghost shrimp who was born in the tank, 15 neon tetras, 10 guppies, 7 female platy, 9 juli Cories, 4 kuhli loaches, 1 pleco, and guppy fry. Many weeks ago, I woke up to find a dead platy in a tunnel I have. I thought that maybe she got stuck and panicked to death. A few days after that I noticed a guppy with clear white buildup around her mouth, I took her out and put her in my 10 gallon to quarantine. She did not make it. A week after that, I'm a seriously lost my male betta and had to lift up the rather large centerpiece to find him dead. I thought this was odd, but also assumed that he just got stuck in the log as it has many places to go in and out of. A week after that, one of my neon Tetras was dead. About a week after that, I noticed one of the other neons had a curvature in its back and was swimming funny, but it was eating and getting around fine until he died, and I have a. Neon about every 7 to 9 days since. The internet is giving me 17 different things to try, but I thought I would reach out for some direct advice to my problem. The most common thing I am seeing is to humanely euthanize the whole community.. And that just, will that hurts my heart. I have not treated the 55 gallon, because of its size. I would rather take feedback from you all and start with a treatment you recommend and then go to the second one if there is no improvement. I haven't had to deal with this before. I'll also whole community of ghost shrimp to a worm parasite that is untreatable, but besides that, I haven't lost any fish, but I've only been doing this about 5 years. Thank you I'm advance.

Need pictures of the fish to see if they have a disease and a picture showing the entire aquarium.

Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

What is the ammonia, nitrite & nitrate of the aquarium water and tap water in numbers?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?
Do you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water?
Do you have separate buckets that are used specifically for the fish tank?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Most reactions

Back