Okay stocking choice for a 120 gallon?

FrAnK3333 said:
lol I ve always wanted discus. If you can cycle your tank fast enough the lfs should hold the oscar for you.
I sure hope so. I would be heartbroken if my little guy was sold when my tank was finished cycling. He is the smallest one in there. Maybe no one will pick him. :unsure: I will go back to the LFS in a day or so and ask if they can hold him. It might take up to 2 weeks for my tank to cycle though. :dunno: I am going to try that bio-spira stuff and see if that really works. That way I can hurry up and add my little guy to the tank. :D

I would be heartbroken if my little guy was sold when my tank was finished cycling.

Then get the fish, it won't last long at the store. Look at the little guy at the store. See how little he is? Now look at your tank. See how HUGE it is? Not to mention you already have bacteria to start with, which means the tank is effectively starting off cycled.

freddyk said:
I would be heartbroken if my little guy was sold when my tank was finished cycling.

Then get the fish, it won't last long at the store. Look at the little guy at the store. See how little he is? Now look at your tank. See how HUGE it is? Not to mention you already have bacteria to start with, which means the tank is effectively starting off cycled.
Well it is a rather small store that isn't very known. Most people just go to the Petsmart or Incredible Pets nearby. I will go there tomorrow and ask if they will hold him for me. If not..Maybe I could get away with stuffing him in my 29 gallon while I add the bio-spira and ammonia to my 120 gallon. :nod:

FrAnK3333 said:
He does have a pint but then again you have no filter on the tank...
I have no filter on the 120 gallon yet. I will be getting them both tomorrow morning. Maybe I could stick him in my 29 gallon until my tank has filtered for awhile and has cycled with the bio-spira.

I wouldn/t cycle the tank with the Oscar or any other fish you want to keep. It may permanently damage their gills. I also think cycling a tank that large with a few small fish will take a long, long long, time. I would recommend a fishless cycle. It works well and if done properly can be quicker. When the tank is cycled you can put a larger fish load in than if you were to do it normally with starter fish and you will be able to go directly to the fish you want to keep. If you don't want to use feeder fish you probably would be against cooking them in a cycling tank.

Good luck. :thumbs:

I guess here is my point.

Fishless cycling was an idea created in order to stock up a tank in one go. The amounts of ammonia used in a typical fishless cycle is more then an entire fish stock would generate, making it safe to load up the tank. This is especially useful for fish like mbuna, which are best added all at once, or for the impatient who just need to fill up the tank now (I believe that includes most of us).

Fish cycling is still acceptable, believe it or not. Fish cycling is for when the fish are to be added slowly, low amounts of fish compared to water volume. An example I can think of offhand would be a baby Oscar in an adult sized aquarium. A small amount of bacteria can be simply added, as mentioned, through established filter media. A small amount of bacteria is added, a small amount is all that is needed, making the tank pretty much cycled from the start.

Now, by all means do a fishless cycle if you feel safer about it. Once you add the Oscar, almost all of the bacteria will die off until all that's left is the small amount needed to support the oscar. I'm just trying to reassure you (based on my own years of experience) that, in your situation, you can get that oscar any time, if you wish.

Cheers, and good luck with him either way you go, they're great fish to own.

I think I will go with the fishless cycle and add the oscar along with a few larger fish all at once. :nod:

EDIT: After cycling of course. :p

Heres an idea, post the tank to me :p I'll tell you what to do to it, then you can hop along and buy a betta in a bowl :p

OohFeeshy said:
Heres an idea, post the tank to me :p I'll tell you what to do to it, then you can hop along and buy a betta in a bowl :p
:lol: It is on the way! Hmm...that is a good idea though. My dresses where my 30 gallon was on is now empty...Hmm...I think 2 5 gallon betta tanks would look nice there. :thumbs:

Id just get the oscar. When you get the filters get the bio spira and the oscar and go for it. I never done fishless cycling so its how I would do it.

FrAnK3333 said:
Id just get the oscar. When you get the filters get the bio spira and the oscar and go for it. I never done fishless cycling so its how I would do it.
I don't want to risk the chance of losing him though. I would feel so bad. :-(

FrAnK3333 said:
I know what you mean. If I lost one of my clowns I would feel horrible.
I suppose I will just have to wait. I'd rather wait and if I get the oscar I wanted that that is great, if I don't..I can always pick out another one. If the one I wanted isn't there when my tank is ready, atleasy he got a good home and not a new uncycled tank ya know? :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Back