Okay stocking choice for a 120 gallon?

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
After my tank has cycled I am looking to put these fish in it:

Albino oscar
black ghost knife
texas cichlid
some type of bottom dweller(pictus cats maybe)

Does this seem okay? The substrate is sand.

i have just about finished my cycle and was told to use zebra danio as they are hardy little fish. B)
and there still chasing each other round the tank and survived the cycle. :D

as for any other advice i'd ask someone else as im kinda new to all this so i only know the basics just now :/

Cycle it with some zebra dianos. They will eventually become food for what you want to put in there.

The ghost knife will be forever hidden with that fish load, I'd skip it if I were you.

Do the Oscars and ciclids or some Bala Sharks and angels for a "pretty tank"

Catfish are garbage cans with tails, be careful what you stock them with.

Avoid some S.American cats, they get too big even for a 125.

FWIW, Any cat and a black knife fish, buhbye knife.,,, :whistle:

Luck dude.

That tanks sounds good, maybe try to get a lined/striped pimelodus (I think) as they get about 10" instead of pictus which get 6" (oscar may like a snack)

Blue Lobster said:
Cycle it with some zebra dianos. They will eventually become food for what you want to put in there.

The ghost knife will be forever hidden with that fish load, I'd skip it if I were you.

Do the Oscars and ciclids or some Bala Sharks and angels for a "pretty tank"

Catfish are garbage cans with tails, be careful what you stock them with.

Avoid some S.American cats, they get too big even for a 125.

FWIW, Any cat and a black knife fish, buhbye knife.,,, :whistle:

Luck dude.
I don't want to use zebra danios as food. I don't want to feed live feeder fish to my larger fish. :p Could I cycle with ghost shrimp or are they too sensitive? :dunno: Hmm....I was afraid the ghost knife wouldn't do well. :sad: Oh well. I know most catfish get pretty large. I wanted a columbian shark catfish but they get huge! I will probably end up with some pictus cats.

Why not try fishless cycling? I'm doing a fishless cycle with my 125 gal fresh water tank. There are very good pinned articles on fishless cycling. That way you don't kill any fish.

Blue Lobster said:
Man....nasty post. I hope The Wolf doesn't see that post. Whew. SH

Man....nasty post. I hope The Wolf doesn't see that post. Whew. SH
Gimmee a break, they're fish, and fish eat fish. Big deal. I've done this myself.

I don't think a BGK is in the right environement with the Cichlids Raechal. I know it's been done but that doesn't necessarily make it right. I'd skip it.

I'd also look for a bigger catfish then the Pictus. Dwarfs is right, an adult Oscar will gulp down an adult pictus if it gets the chance.

Are you getting the fish young? Normally I see Oscars and Texan's and the like sold at only a couple of inches. If this is the case then you don't even need to cycle the tank. The bio-load would be so small the toxins would be immeasurable, and as the fish grow so will the biofilters along with them.

juiceball1 said:
Why not try fishless cycling? I'm doing a fishless cycle with my 125 gal fresh water tank. There are very good pinned articles on fishless cycling. That way you don't kill any fish.
I agree with juiceball - go with the fishless cycling. It's quicker plus no fatalities. AND it gives you time to research what you want to put in the tank.

i've never worried about cycling my tanks and i haven't lost a fish yet. All i do is add water conditioner and my fish are fine. I have a 2ft tank here that i clean out every week all i do is clean the rocks, wash the filter,rinse the tank out add 3 buckets of cold water 2 buckets of warm water to make it the right temperture then turn on the filter heater air stone then put in the water conditioner let it sit for 5 minutes then put the fish in. I've seen to many people being to fussy about cycling ph nitirite,nitrate an what happens there fish die. Then they ask me how do you keep your fish alive i say i don't be to fussy about the water you go adding commicals and stuff in the water it will kill your fish. i just cleaned out my 4ft tank 3 days ago and the fish i have in there now are all fine.

Most reactions

trending

Back