Ok I put this in the Betta section but.......

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gabe

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I thought I might put it here as well so here goes:

I'm not sure if I have this in the right spot but my female betta is having some problems. She seems to swim fine but when she stops swimming she ends up vertical. Her tummy is huge, I have bred her twice(no babies either time but lots of eggs) so I don't know if she is full of eggs or if it's her swim bladder. She is now in a community tank, no one is picking on her it seems, I keep a close eye on all my fish to make sure no one is getting hurt. I was thinking of putting her in one of the bowls and seeing what happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gabe

Oofeeshy suggested a pea. So I will try that but I will have to wait now until tomorrow as I have no peas. Any other ideas?? I want to make sure I don't lose her.

Gabe

Don't feed her until you've fed the pea. After that you may want to wait another day before feeding her and then consider getting some daphnia instead of her usual meal. She could be suffering from swim bladder problems brought on by her diet, bloat or an internal infection. I doubt eggs are causing her to swim vertical... Also, is there any sign of stringy or discolored poo, pinecone scales or lethargy? Does she have a good appetite and is she still quite active? Other than the vertical stance, is she acting normal like she used to? Isolating her may be a good idea - just to minnimize stress while she is recovering.

Ok I will surely isolate her tonight then. Hopefully it isn't to late. She hasn't been acting herself lately and the only time I really see her is at feeding, so I know she still eats. I haven't noticed any scales sticking out or any stringy poo, but like I said, she isn't out and about as much. She does always know when it's feeding time though lol.

Thanks the info/suggestions. I had a feeling it wasn't eggs, but I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Gabe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back