Oh no...poor rescued betta

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Koda

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I lifted the plant up to do a bit of trimming and water change.Betta seemed tangled in the roots and did not come out.He was completely still...no flopping about.Thinking the worst,I just dunked the plant in a mix of a little of his water and spring water,and went and emptied the vase,rinsing the greenish stuff away.Then out of desperate hope I added more spring water and the mix of water I'd put the plant in and put the plant back in the vase.And lo and behold as I type this, he is out and swimming about again.I hope the whole experience didn't shock him too much.If there is a next time,I will be sure he is completely free of the roots before I move the plant :-(

Koda <--- has a lot to learn :*)

Well...this may be trickier than I thought.He was out and I thought I'd go ahead and trim the plant a bit.As soon as I moved it he boogied back up in the roots. :S

Koda

I'm sure he's fine,maybe when you get him a out of the vase and into a tank you can just move the entire plant and let him swim out at his own free leisure, I'm sure moving in a plant is no more stressful than being netted.

Bettas don't breathe oxygen from the water so he wasn't choking or anything :)

I'm wondering if he'll be happy if he's moved away from his plant.He seems to feel secure there.Now that it's been cleaned up a bit it looks better.But I just hadda be honest and tell my boss the fish is fine and I'm waiting to see if they plan to put him in a different habitat.I can't help hoping they won't want him back :wub: :-(

When I took him home I really thought I was just going to save them the trouble of dealing with a dead or dying fish.Turns out he's just shy ;)

Koda

He sounds pretty attached to the plant :lol: Maybe your boss will spring for a new house, one where his plant can be nestled in the corner or something. Or....you can get him one and when your boss asks when he'll be back you could say

:eek:
"He's not in the vase anymore :eek: I bought him a new tank :/ I've kinda grown attached to the little guy" :hey:

Who could take away a betta from a sad sack like that? :p

wuvmybetta said:
He sounds pretty attached to the plant :lol: Maybe your boss will spring for a new house, one where his plant can be nestled in the corner or something. Or....you can get him one and when your boss asks when he'll be back you could say

:eek:
"He's not in the vase anymore :eek: I bought him a new tank :/ I've kinda grown attached to the little guy" :hey:

Who could take away a betta from a sad sack like that? :p
The plant is one of those peace lily type things.Pretty big.But I'm thinking he'd soon forget the lily if he had 3 to 5gs to roam around in,and some nicely arranged aquatic decor :kana:

Now I have suggested to the boss that she could get a little tank for him at Wally World with a filter and all.So I will bide my time and see what she does.Perhaps she will lack sufficient motivation to go shop the pet aisle.I do know she was at Wally's yesterday and came back without a tank :D

Koda

maybe you could get a floating plant, i have a floating plant called riccia in with my bettas and they like to nest / settle in it

Most reactions

Back