Oh Dear Lord What Is This?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
have encountered most algae types but with the recent addition of this manzinati (spelled that wrong) wood....its been growing some weird looking algae or what i think is algae...and its strange because its just on the wood... so my description. White-ish pale grey to translucent in color it spreads with 3 different forms...
A. The appearance of mold being just fuzzy
B. ^same but with white spore looking like things
c. gooey stringy flat goop...

So i took the wood out let it dry, then scrubbed it in hot water with toothbrush...of course came back even after a 100% water change...here are some pics...
6967993981_26bf40ccc2_b.jpg

6967991903_2023c78b6a_b.jpg

6821866568_0463b9b822_b.jpg

6821866994_c292760564_b.jpg

i've never experienced this but I've read on other threads that it's just something that happens to wood and will go away on it's own eventually but knocking some of it off won't do any harm either. I'm sure I read someone say their fish ate it. Hope that helps!

its a bacteria that feeds off nutrients in the wood. It will go away after a while, it happens to 'new' wood in the tank. (I do not consider green/fresh wood to be 'new' wood, just wood that is new to your tank)

i've never experienced this but I've read on other threads that it's just something that happens to wood and will go away on it's own eventually but knocking some of it off won't do any harm either. I'm sure I read someone say their fish ate it. Hope that helps!

+1

its a bacteria that feeds off nutrients in the wood. It will go away after a while, it happens to 'new' wood in the tank. (I do not consider green/fresh wood to be 'new' wood, just wood that is new to your tank)

+1

Totally normal, my BN made short work of it :good:

Ben

+1

+1

Totally normal, my BN made short work of it :good:

Ben
alright thanks guys lol freaked out when i first saw my wood covered in peach fuzz....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back