Odd Question. Advice Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stacey3272

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank is cycled Lost all fish been dosing with ammonia to feed tank I want to change substrate this weekend since I am fish less. Do I need to cycle tank again ..if it's just apart for a few hours.

Please tell me you weren't dosing with ammonia with the fish in the tank. You don't say what type of filtration you have. I personally would cycle tank again. I hope this helps but your description is not quite legible.

No, I believe the ammonia has only been added since after the fish died.

The change in substrate should have virtually no affect on your cycle.

What substrate are you changing from?

It may or may not have an effect on your cycle, it depends on how much bacteria is contained in your substrate.
Keep dosing with ammonia and check your tests, if no spikes occur then you're fine to add more fish.

Make sure to keep your filter media wet, to prevent the bacteria in there dying off.

Sorry I was on a ipad  when making message and had a million little ones around me ( childcare ). I was kind of in a hurry to get question out so I could plan when to do all my changes.

No I have lost all my fish . So dosing tank to feed bacteria till i get more fish.  I have ordered Flourite to add then some sand . I was planning on keeping media filter wet and in tank water while I do my stuff. I may add back patches of gravel so that should have some bacteria in it.

If you're worried about the bacteria in the old substrate, you could add the substrate to a sock or some pantyhose and then hang that in the tank for a week or so, most of the bacteria should recolonize to the new substrate.

As Blondie said, that is one option, but as you have been dosing you tank there may not be much of a need. You could just change the substrate, monitor the ammonia drops for a couple of days. If all is good, do a water change and add fish.

What are you keeping your ppm up to as far as the ammonia and what size tank are you working with?

Blondielovesfish said:
If you're worried about the bacteria in the old substrate, you could add the substrate to a sock or some pantyhose and then hang that in the tank for a week or so, most of the bacteria should recolonize to the new substrate.
good.gif

SimpleDog said:
As Blondie said, that is one option, but as you have been dosing you tank there may not be much of a need. You could just change the substrate, monitor the ammonia drops for a couple of days. If all is good, do a water change and add fish.

What are you keeping your ppm up to as far as the ammonia and what size tank are you working with?
55 gallon and between 2 and 3 dose every couple days

When you say dose, are you taking it to 5ppm? or to 2 or 3ppm? 

2 or 3 is what i  was recommend on here and I read on here .

That's the correct dosage.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back