• Even

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Doesn't make a darned difference.

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
So, I've heard much info on this and wanted to know the general TFF community's view. Thanks!

I'd say even but that's purely because I hate odd numbers in general
tongue2.gif

I'd say the male : female ratio is more important.

Yea, I am going to go with makes no difference, and like wrightt3 said, the ratio of males to females, and also making sure there is a full school, are going to be the most important factors.

I've voted 'odd'; although it makes no difference to the fish, if your shoal is large enough, odd numbers do (tend) to look more aesthetically pleasing.

I haven't seen or heard of any evidence that indicate that fish can count!

Odd numbers are better for feng shui/aesthetics/whatever you want to call that.  Ask architects/interior designers n stuff.  Also asian gardens will have odd numbers of plants and thinks like that.  My history of going for odds has to do with Japanese gardens.
1,3,5,7 looks/feels nicer than 2,4,6.  Once you get to bigger amounts, it doesn't really matter since your eye just sees a group rather than individuals.  

Actually, I've heard that you can only flash count up to 4 or 5 (meaning if you only see the whole group for less than a tenth of a second or whatever, most people can only accurately determine the number up to 4 or 5).  It was on the radio about some study I'm sure I can't cite, but it seems reasonable.

And obviously health wise, once you get to the "critical mass" of a shoal, it doesn't matter in the slightest.  What that critical mass is for each species if up for debate.  Why is 6 more accepted than 5? I dunno.

I voted odd, although I normally don't like odd numbers, I do agree that in smaller schools <10 odd does look better!

I had 5 neon tetra today. Bought 5 more this morning to make an even 10, just found 1 dead so back to odd number. Don't know if it was one of the new ones that died or not, 'puzzled'

germanblueR said:

+1

There's been some research done, fairly recently, that not only can fish count up to four, but they can also tell which of two groups is the larger, and will choose to go that group if they can.

KirkyArcher said:

LOL

Put down odd for no real reason other than that I have 15 Threadfins (5 males to 10 females 1:2 ratio) in my tank and looks pretty darn good if I may say so myself! 
tongue2.gif

I have a touch of OCD so I would have to get an even number ;)

I can't remember the source but I read online somewhere that odd numbers tend to reduce the aggression in some schooling fish that are known for being "nippy" to other fish as well as among themselves.  Specifically Tiger Barbs, and it matters most when the numbers are small, which kinda makes sense.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back