Odd Cory Behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Reaction score
Hi, just got myself 3 healthy looking cory which were labeled Lilac Spot Cory.

They are quite small now but grow to 5-6cm according to LFS.

For now they are in my 34 ltr (well matured and cycled) to grow on before going in the larger tank (see signiture)

I have sand substrate and tank-mates are 3 pigmy cory, 4 Endlers and a couple of Guppy fry.

They have been in for 24 hours but seem to constantly swim up and down the glass.

Just tested water (API) all prefect.

Is this ususal as I have not had this before?

Many fish do that when they get moved into a new tank. Particularly if the new tank is smaller than their last home. They are just checking it out and finding out where everything is. They should settle down in a few days.

Many fish do that when they get moved into a new tank. Particularly if the new tank is smaller than their last home. They are just checking it out and finding out where everything is. They should settle down in a few days.

Yes of course.
Already they are calmer and I can see nice 'tracking' in the sand so the are begining to forage about.

Nice fish though

you need to take some pictures of them to post on here. I have never heard of lilac spot corys but they sound nice.

I have 5 different types of corys and most of them seem to do the swimming up and down the glass activity. It was pretty constant when I first got them then decreased as they settled.

So like, they're swimming along the glass of the tank? That means they're happy! :D It's the "cory dance." Don't worry about it at all. The only strange behavior you don't want is cories who gasp for air all the time. Few times is okay, going up to the surface for oxygen, but too many times could mean water problems. But if they're swimming together along the side of the tank, it's a good sign!

And if the corys gasp air from the surface they fart a few hours later. Real live mobile airstones :)

They sound really cool. Can you post a pic? I would really love to see them. Do they really have lilac spots?

Corys and loaches love to dance. They will dance for most any reason. Their favorite location seems to be against the glass especially where the water flow hits against the glass.

Yes! pics, kev!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back