Octopus anyone?

meeeooww... squidge... meeeooww... squidge...

cant see an octo being able to catch a cat myself...

actual if its ther right kind of octopus(the big ones duh) and it got old of a cat it could kill it.
if an octopus grabs ur arm or whatever dont try to pull it off this may cause damage to u or it. just sit there it will eventualy let go cuase all its doing is trying to figure out what the heck u are.

think someone has been eating to many disco bisciuts ha ha and i think we can all guess who here pussy pussy look at my lovely long arms ,,,, all the better to cuddle you with :p

did you know that an octopus is a mollusc, just like an oyster or pipi weird hey?

Octopuses are cool and why all the grief to the guy who said the occy got out and chased the car?,
whilst ive never had one in my home a few years ago at highschool we had a room of saltwater tanks, one with an octopus, the fish and crabs in the other tanks kept disappearing, one of the teachers set up a video and the octopus was getting out and crawling across to another tank, eating what it liked, and this is the interesting bit, it returned to its home tank b4 any one arrived at school.

Cool hey, they can walk around on the floor as many who have dealt with them would know.
Go for it, probably get my head bitten off but blue ringed octopy look perfect size for most tanks, other inhabitants would be a prob though.

smithrc said:
meeeooww... squidge... meeeooww... squidge...

cant see an octo being able to catch a cat myself...
i saw one need the beach one time and i was with my friend he he tried to catch it and it flew, i mean this thing was FAST so i could see it catch a cat, maybe a slow cat, like garfeild... :lol: :rofl: :lol:

For anybody searching fishforums.net and a general update..

I decided to go ahead and do this and have had very good success keeping an octopus, 'octopus bimaculoides' For those of us in the states they are very available and very cheap as well, I got mine from the (only?) breeder, http://octopets.com I ended up finding an octopus forum online, http://www.tonmo.com This site proved invaluable, and gave a whole lot of information about keeping them -- and journals of people keeping their octopus.

I Guess he is about 5 weeks old since I got him, and 2 months old or so since he was born when I got him.. he lives with a Domino damsel and a 4 stripe damsel. There's also a chocolate chip starfish in with him. They are all friends except the octopus wants to eat the fish!

Almost everything said in this thread is dead wrong or close to it, so anybody interested in keeping an octopus -- don't be discouraged! Head on over to tonmo.com -- its a real friendly place with people that would love to help somebody willing to put in the effort end up with a satisfying pet.

Robert

Never saw this thread the first time through but I'm glad that you updated it and let us know that you got good answers and that you decided to get one. What is it like? Is there any way that you could share pictures? I'm thrilled for you...

ALASKA

thanks for the update.

I'd love to keep one - what sort of tank size and setting (eg reef or FO?) is it in?

I met a guy that created a salt water tank directly from the ocean. He used ocean water sand fish and inverts he caught it all himself, even the food. He had an octopus he said its escaped once before but thatw as when he didnt have a lid. Also the octopus will not come out when its light out( well the 1 he had didnt). He slowly comes out in the night. He's real awesome if you see them at night.

Good luck if you get one

Sorry for the late replies, for some reason fishforums.net doesn't always email notify me when somebody responds to a topic :( Frustrating

I keep mine in a 29g saltwater tank. There are no freshwater octopii. As far as a reef, that is more or less impractical as octopus can't be with many kinds of corals because they will hurt the octopus... and the octopus can very easily topple corals and cover them with sand and stuff.

I keep the species 'octopus bimaculoides' so I can only give advice relating to them. They are not afraid of the light at all, as was mentioned here. In fact, mine seems to be even more apt to be out when the tank lights are on. Their native habitat is right off the california/mexico shores, about 50 ft deep or less in the ocaen. Therefore, they're used to a lot of light.

And yes with no lid the octopus will probably escape, they're very curious and sneaky. Bimac's are much less prone to this, but other octopus such as 'octopus vulgaris' is very notorious for escaping. They also get to be several times larger than bimacs, and are generally unsuitable to keep.

I feed him raw shrimp, blue legged hermit crabs, freshwater malaysian trumpet snails and freshwater clams. He is becoming less interested in the snails as he is getting larger and I suppose pickier!

His colors are very interesting. Sometimes he will be a brown/black color.. I think this is sort of his 'normal' colors. But he can turn completely white in the blink of an eye, and can turn some of his body white and some very dark. He also can turn a brown mottled looking pattern that makes him look just like the live rock. When he does this and 'hides' on the rock, he will raise bumps on his skin to blend in even more. When he gets very worked up or excited about things he will turn bright white colors with lots of black lines and orange polka dots on him. He also has a false eye spot on either side of him, a little under his eyes. These look like small bullseyes, and he can turn them dark blue and black, and can flash them. His colors change so fast, it amazes everybody that sees it! It looks like a fast pulsing, and he can change colors faster than you can blink. Very cool!!

Right now his 'armspan' is about 3+ inches, and his mantle (his head) is maybe 1 1/4 inch. He is still small, but he will reach an armspan of roughly 1 foot and his mantle will be 5-6 inches at full size.

I expected him to hide and be generally shy, but this is not the case at all. I see him out at least 6 or 8 hours a day, normally in the evening hours. I also have got him eating out of my hands with no problem. We are each learning each other still, but so far I have gotten him so used to me that he will 'shake hands' with me when I put my hand in the tank with him, and he has even got the whole way on my hand to let me take him for a ride around the tank. This friendliness really surprised me!

My camera is horrible so still photos are basically useless. I have taken video of him with my camera though, which makes it much easier to tell what is going on. Here is one picture taken from a screencap of a video, where you can easily see him. I will also link to videos of him roaming around the tank. These videos may or may not play for you..

octorok.png

Here is a video of him 'walking' around on the glass. You can see him change color a little bit.

Here is a video of him taking a snail from my hands and eating it. He's kind of hiding in his den so he is not very easy to see in detail in this video

Here is a picture of a very nice full grown bimac. It is clearly under blue lighting, but you can see the patterning being displayed nonetheless. This is NOT my picture --

Beauty.jpg

Wow, I think that's the coolest thing/pet I have ever seen!! :hyper: If you can, please post more videos!

I want to get one now :nod: Only thing that's holding me back is the dreadful noise of the protein skimmer-airpump, since I study in this room :crazy:

our LFS had one 2 weeks ago... how tempted i was to rush home and set up the tank and everyting...

I'll be getting one :)

Most reactions

Back