Not sure why my fish keep dying :(

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

There's no point chucking everything out unless you know what killed the fish. If the pleco is still alive, then it isn't poison.

Without seeing the sick/ dead fish they could have died from anything. Guppies are riddles with external bacteria and protozoan infections when they come into shops. they also have gill flukes and intestinal worms. Bettas are genetically weak from 50 years of inbreeding. The fish probably died from a protozoan infection that could have been treated with salt or another medication.

If you want to disinfect the tank and equipment, soak it in salt water for 24 hours. Then rinse with fresh water. Move the pleco into another tank when you do this.

Chuck the decorations and use rocks, wood and most importantly live plants instead 😊 not only will it look more natural but it will make the fish feel happy and safe. Make sure any wood or rock is fish safe.

Use your existing gravel and just cap it with black sand, I use Limpopo but there are others to choose from.

We can help you cycle properly from the beginning, you just need to decide if you're going to do it with live plants or not 👍🏻

Your test results didn't show a reading for ammonia? I only saw chlorine which isn't the same...a liquid test kit will have everything you need to test for so well worth the investment if you don't already have one
Maybe i need a different home test kit ? If live plants work better ill go that route . I decided to start completely over to be safe and so brand new canvas .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 18
You need to be able to test for ammonia, which is not included on those strips. You can buy separate ammonia testers, or buy a liquid 'master' test set which usually includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Ill buy a better kit . As far as my pleco , what would be the best course if action? When can i get him in the new tank ? How long should i wait in the cycle? Don't really have anything else to keep him in so would need to buy a small tank or other solution in the mean time .

You could put him in the new tank and we can help you through a fish in cycle, not ideal but if you've no other option that's what you'll have to do...your lfs may hold him for you but unlikely.

The GH was given as 80 ppm [= 4 dH] which is soft/very soft. Forget all livebearers like guppies, these fish generally require considerably harder water. For a 25g tank, look at fish from South America and/or SE Asia, from the groups tetras, rasboras, etc. Corydoras catfish, only if you have soft sand (not over gravel because these fish dig, just straight soft sand). Plants, including floating species. With these growing, cycling is not necessary as such. I can explain if asked.

Ill buy a better kit . As far as my pleco , what would be the best course if action? When can i get him in the new tank ? How long should i wait in the cycle? Don't really have anything else to keep him in so would need to buy a small tank or other solution in the mean time .
A lot of us use the API Master Test Kit. You can use that to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Everything you need to monitor a cycle. and there's also pH testing in there too.

The GH was given as 80 ppm [= 4 dH] which is soft/very soft. Forget all livebearers like guppies, these fish generally require considerably harder water. For a 25g tank, look at fish from South America and/or SE Asia, from the groups tetras, rasboras, etc. Corydoras catfish, only if you have soft sand (not over gravel because these fish dig, just straight soft sand). Plants, including floating species. With these growing, cycling is not necessary as such. I can explain if asked.
So wait and see after we get a cycle on my new water to know what type of fish?

Live plants, wood, and more natural decorations could help your new tank. And, IMO, it just looks a lot better. It could help the fish too, as they prefer a more natural tanka and they are soft so they won't scratch the fish's fins. I agree with CaptainBarnicles, a liquid test kit is a great investment. The API Liquid Master test kit is a great option, and is available on Amazon. Yes, wait for the cycle to finish, but you can think about what kind of fish you would want.

Fishless cycling takes several weeks; plant cycling takes at least a couple of week (so you know if the plants are thriving or dying) so there is time to decide which fish to look for. During this time, think about making trips to all the local fish stores to see what they stock. Make a note of the fish which catch you eye, but do not buy anything; resist the attempts of the staff to pressurise you into buying fish. Then sit down and research the fish you've taken note of. Are they suitable for your tank size? Are they suitable for your water? Do they need the same temperature and water flow?
The best site for research is Seriously Fish.

Some easy beginner plant suggestions...

Anubias- epiphyte, which means it grows in the water column. You can tie or superglue it to rock or wood

Java fern- same as above

Cryptocoryne- this one you can plant into the sand. The leaves will more than likely melt away but do not remove it! This plant is a bit of a diva and will sulk as it readjusts itself to the new conditions. Once its pulled itself together it will flourish, espacially with a root tab fertiliser buried beneath its roots

Amazon Sword- again, loves root tabs. These are often sold as plants that have been grown above water, so it's leaves will also die back and convert to its submerged leaves

Vallisineria- this grows long thin leaves like grass, fast grower and will spread around the tank via runners, very attractive

Stem plants, like hygrophila polysperma- these grow fast and will really help with your cycle and also very easy to propagate, simply snip and replant straight into the substrate.

Have a Google and see what you think 👍🏻

All of those plants are great beginner plants, but I have had success with Amazon sword being planted into inert sand without any root tabs or nutrients, but liquid fertilizer.

So wait and see after we get a cycle on my new water to know what type of fish?
Welcome to TFF.

Return or rehome the pleco; if it is indeed a "common" pleco, it will grow much too large (18" plus) for the tank you have

Follow the directions here for fishless cycling, then decide on which soft-water fish you would like to keep for your tank size: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Get that API Master Freshwater test kit ASAP

Chuck the decorations and use rocks, wood and most importantly live plants instead 😊 not only will it look more natural but it will make the fish feel happy and safe. Make sure any wood or rock is fish safe.

Use your existing gravel and just cap it with black sand, I use Limpopo but there are others to choose from.

We can help you cycle properly from the beginning, you just need to decide if you're going to do it with live plants or not 👍🏻

Your test results didn't show a reading for ammonia? I only saw chlorine which isn't the same...a liquid test kit will have everything you need to test for so well worth the investment if you don't already have one
Do i need a mesh bag at the bottom for soil ? Or can i place the plants in the rocks ?

Most reactions

Back