Not Interested?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishHobbyist1564

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i have a beautiful red female betta that i would love to breed, so i let her see a male and i let the male see her. I let her think about him in a separate tank for a few days. He has started a bubble nest, but she doesnt seem to be becoming more round. So i let her go in the tank with him (im floating her on the top in a different container). She still doesnt have vertical stripes, isnt wanting to get to him, and she isnt getting rounder. The male, on the other hand, is all excited, getting his bubble nest ready, and cant wait for her to come in with him. Why isnt this female getting in the mood? ????

I'm sorry but don't you have like another spawn going on already that you've been having problems with? I think you should at least stick to that spawn before you go ahead and spawn more and more. & Just a question, what kind of bettas are they? Like a lot of members here they really don't think you should spawn veils over and over since not a lot of people will want to take them in and you probably don't evne have the room to keep over 100 juvies & adults. Like and you always say you've done research but it doesn't ever really seem like it whenever you make a post because they always have questions you would know the answers to if you had actually done enough reading on breeding. Anyways, have you conditioned your bettas? She may have not shown vertical stripes because she just isn't ready for breeding and I really suggest you condition your male before you start asking "Why isn't my male doing anything to help the babies/eggs" again because lack of conditioning can cause the male to not fulfill his duties & simply eat the eggs and such.

I totally agree with you, wisperian, that there are still a lot of questions i have unanswered. But i definately have enough room. That other batch that i had problems with... well the heater broke and the babies didnt make it... :( i know its soo sad, so i got another heater and a backup just in case! :). I breed veiltails and crowntails, and i give my bettas to my LFS when they grow up and they're always happy to take them. But my really pretty babies, i give to my family and friends, where i know they get a great home :).

You dont put the female with the male till she gets the vertical bands. You ideally should have the fish being able to see each other (but not get to) for weeks prior to attempting mating.

yea i keep their tanks next to each other so the males get to building their nests.

It is called conditioning. They get fed good and kept clean and well cared for. Then they get the message: "Hey! This is a good place for a family!"

The conditioning is part of the breeding process. So like Dark Entity said, the fish are showing breeding signs before the process is started. Breeding bars and bubble nests are just two of the signs.

Your lady was not at all ready. Good you for not going forward! You would likely have a torn up male and/or female.

Also some fish just don't respond to one another--just like people.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back