Northern Mountain Swordtail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi all, does anybody have any info on breeding conditions for the Northern Mountain Swordtail? There seems to be very little info around on these guys. Any help would be fantastic. Many Thanks,

Jonny.

Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl are stunning fish.

xiph_nezahualcoyotl.jpg

I've never kept them, but i would want to give the a large tank 3' or so and keep them in a group ideally of 4-6 fish.
Temps of 66-72F but will be ok up to 78, but no higher.
Their from Central America: Rio Tamasi drainage in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
Only small fish 6cm is getting on the large size.

thanks, i have heard of them breeding in a 40 litre! i plan on doing the same in a heavily planted tank. shame about the small brood size but you can't have everything aye. They are beautiful fish.

thanks, i have heard of them breeding in a 40 litre! i plan on doing the same in a heavily planted tank. shame about the small brood size but you can't have everything aye. They are beautiful fish.

I agree i got regular painted swords (platys x sword is what i am thinking) but wow those N MTN swords are awesome how much do they cost ...i know pricing is different for the area but just getting an idea and how readily avalible are they

I paid £60 for 5, 2 males and 3 females. Very hard to find though. Hopefully i will have some fry in a couple of months but i dont think i can post them to minnesota :lol:

I paid £60 for 5, 2 males and 3 females. Very hard to find though. Hopefully i will have some fry in a couple of months but i dont think i can post them to minnesota :lol:

£60 for 5 nezahualcoyotl is very high. For that you can join the British Livebearer Association (£16), you can buy some Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl (they are always available somewhere) and you will still have around £30 change.

PFK recently featured this species and said they would cost £35 for a pair, I almost fell off my chair.

mmm i did wonder but i dont mind, they are beautiful fish. How much would you say, on average, a adult fish will go for? same question for a jouvenile - say 2 months old?

It all depends where you are talking and what species.

I am sure some of the others would have an opinion on this, but the prices seem to go in bands; for fish such as Xenotoca eiseni you will be looking at around £1-2 a pair, fish such as Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl are between £5-£10 per pair and other rarer fish would be up to £20 per pair. Very few fish go for much more than that.

Do remember that if you are interested in wild, rarer fish you really should join the BLA; between the membership at the BLA I would guess we have between 60 and 75% of the species and some species which you will not be able to find anywhere else are commonplace in the BLA.

As for juveniles, I work on 6 juveniles is the same price as a pair.

£60 is a good price for these stunning fish.

Duncan reminds me of the formose selling for £10-15 a pair at corby :)
Their usualy £3-5

But if u rearly want something and willing to pay then go for it, i know i do.

Their usualy £3-5

Sorry Alan, are you saying that £60 is a good price as in it is expensive, or it is cheap?

There is always a species which goes for more than usual, 3 years ago it was X. multilineatus, 2 years ago it was X. montezumae and earlier this year it was Heterandria formosa. These amounts were madness, but as you say, if two people are willing to pay then it is surprising what these auction prices can be. That said, a few years earlier you couldn't sell a bag of Hets for £2.

Their usualy £3-5

Sorry Alan, are you saying that £60 is a good price as in it is expensive, or it is cheap?

There is always a species which goes for more than usual, 3 years ago it was X. multilineatus, 2 years ago it was X. montezumae and earlier this year it was Heterandria formosa. These amounts were madness, but as you say, if two people are willing to pay then it is surprising what these auction prices can be. That said, a few years earlier you couldn't sell a bag of Hets for £2.

Sorry duncan, that's a good price for the breeder.

So what will it be this year ;)
guessing guppies again but do u think we'll see £110 again?

Never can tell. My trip to Buenos Aires has been put off so I will be able to come along.

I reckon there will be a few Xiphs that will be sought after and there will probably be a couple of others which will be surprising but the guppies will no doubt steal the show again.

You still looking for a room mate?

lol hard choice Buenos Aires or Nottingham!!!

Ye I'm going to Nottingham still.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back