No... Noo... The Pain, Its Green!

Musho3210

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I think my tank is coming down with a mild case of greenwater..... Its cloudy and looking from the side its a sorta green cloudy.

I also have cyano bacteria but that has started to fade, i plan on a 3 day blackout, Will the blackout help get rid of some of the greenwater?

I want to get rid of it without the use of a UVS since those are expensive, id rather use that money to get a CO2 unit.

It happened when i came back from vacation, i wasnt feeding them, no one was feeding them, and no fish died, so im pretty sure ammonia isnt the problem since i am quite understocked for a 75 gallon tank (look at my siggy). Does anyone know any other causes?

First of all, lots of water changes will help allot.
Next thing, and it seems to be the dominating factor is your filtration.
If your getting cloudy water, thats a bactreria problem! same with the cyno.
You need to sort your biological filtration out, think about having half of your filter cpacity as biological media. With that you should look at putting lots of filter wool in there too. This will help remove some of the green water too.
Black outs wont help much, but getting your filtration will help heaps.

Hope this helps.
Graeme.

filtration is fine, i might stick in a micro-filtration pad +. Its a rena xp3 and 2 compartments are filled with bioballs.

Most reactions

Back