No daphnia alive!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have cultured daphnia 2 months ago and there were copepods also. But now daphnia population increased and i seen it but today i dont find any daphnia in that container only copepods are there. And was adding water every day instead of changing water.

The daphnia might have died off if the temperature got too warm. If you let the pond dry out and wait a few months until it cools down, then fill it back up with dechlorinated water, the daphnia eggs will hatch and you will get a new colony.

The copepods will also leave eggs in the sediment and they will hatch when the daphnia eggs hatch.

It's preferable to keep single species cultures rather than mixing them. When you get the daphnia going again, make a few cultures with just daphnia and a few with only copepods.

The daphnia might have died off if the temperature got too warm. If you let the pond dry out and wait a few months until it cools down, then fill it back up with dechlorinated water, the daphnia eggs will hatch and you will get a new colony.

The copepods will also leave eggs in the sediment and they will hatch when the daphnia eggs hatch.

It's preferable to keep single species cultures rather than mixing them. When you get the daphnia going again, make a few cultures with just daphnia and a few with only copepods.
Can we feed egg yolk to daphnia and copepod ?

You can try but it probably won't work. They normally feed on algae (green water) or infusoria.

Green water is easy to make and works well.

You can try but it probably won't work. They normally feed on algae (green water) or infusoria.

Green water is easy to make and works well.
Ok.ill try.
Does daphnia eggs stick to surface or freely placed in water?
Because i pull out all water from previous culture and i filled it with new water.bottom surface of that pot is greenish still. Is there any possibility eggs present at bottom surface?

Daphnia eggs sink to the bottom and need to dry out for a few months before they will hatch. If you let the water evaporate out you can leave the sediment in the bottom for a few months before refilling the container. Then the eggs hatch and the daphnia start over again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back