NITRITE

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cashedin

Reaction score
My Nitrite levels are constantly going up and I cannot seem to get them to go down even with partial water changes every 3 days. My ammonia and nitrate levels are 0-0.50ppm, but my nitrite levels are 5.0ppm. I've tried adding Amquel's nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia remover and it does not help at all and it is deoxygenating my tank to where the fish are gasping for air at the top of the tank. Please help, only been doing this for a couple of months. :(

46G running for 2 months
1 Clown Knife
1 Teacup Stingray
1 Pleco
2 African Butterfly Fish

The chemicals you are adding to try to control the the problems may be giving some false readings however if the fish are gasping for air then you really have a emergancy on your hands.

Was the tank fully cycled when you started to add these fish? If it was then the problem is more than likely adding too many larger fish too soon but lets get back to the immediate problem.

I had a 55 gallon tank crash at christmas and to control it I did huge water changes of 50-60% every 4-5 hrs (even got up in the night and did them) for nearly two weeks. Gradually the levels came down but it was hard work.

Have you got any extra air stones or filters you can put in there? I found that when the nitrite was high was the time the fish started to hand at the top and as soon as I did the huge water change they would be ok for a few hours till they built back up.

Let us know how you get on.

What are the readings fro your tap?

As someone just said, do frequent water changes until your tank can cope.

Goodluck

Are you sure the Nitrite isn't .5 and the Nitrate is 5.0. Those numbers sound a little more normal. Nirrate at .5 is very low. My nitrate always runs between 5 and 10.

I added an airstone, and I also have a bubble wand on the back of the aquarium. just changed 25% of the water, waited 2 hours and checked the readings again. :/

I'm positive that the readings are:
PH 7.0
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 0.5
Ammonia 0.5

Like I said earlier the water changes need to be 50-60% otherwise the fish will begin to suffer and may well die off. I didn't loose any fish when my tank filter died and considering I had angels, plecs and rams that can be quite delicate ;) ... the huge water changes did the trick.

If you are sure about the readings, possibly you are in the final stages of cycling and getting the Nitrite spike. As breezer said, keep up the water changes.

Most reactions

Back