Nitrate Removing Pads

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Daniel Stevens

Reaction score
Hi to you all....

I have a 600ltr marine aquarium fully stocked with a thriving reef system,
i also have the added bonus of living in Queensland Australia so my corals/fish etc are considerably cheaper and more readily available than when i was living in the UK.

The reason i write this is, am still susceptible to the same problems that other marine keepers around the world experience, namely: nitrate fluctuations, phosphate etc etc....
But!
Here in sunny queensland i have available from my LFS a filter media approx A3 in size that when cut or placed in your filters or sump system attracts and removes nitrate from the water.
The filter media is impregnated with some resin and works excellently.
Initially i was sceptible as to how effective this would be, but they work perfectly and i now have a system with ZERO! nitrate...... these pads are also available for the removal of Ammonia, Phosphate, all retail here for $23 Australian.
I change mine once a month and am very impressed.

Are they available throughout the world? do you guys have them? is any one interested? i'd be happy to mail them anywhere.

Let me know your thoughts or questions..... it's just a thought!

Dan.

What are they called and who makes them? I'll do a google and see if we have a UK distributer
Very nice offer, thank you :good:

I use polyfilter which removes nitrates and phosphates (among other things). Its good stuff but stupidly expensive.

Good one Barney :good: That could be what I'm after. I was looking at a nitrate reactor but this could be a simpler solution. Seen some on ebay and looks reasonable if I could get a few months out of it!
How long do the sheets last roughly?

It really depends on what it is filtering out and how much. I used half a pad on my nano and it tended to last about 2-3 months before it needed replacing (so doesnt work out too expensive). Heavier bio-loads will probably need it to be replaced sooner.

I never actually tested the tank before and after to see how effective it was to be honest. Planning on using it on my tank now though and doing before and after testing to see how effective it really is.

Either way, many polypads can/do remove copper. So in the horrible instance that you have a powerhead that melts, or a light that breaks or an electrical short that spills copper in your tank, you can run some polypad to remove it. Good to have on hand for emergencies kind of thing. A former local reefer where I come from accidentally cross-wired some of his components in his electrics and when he flipped the switch, spilled a bunch of molten copper into his tank. Immediately threw polypad in there and saved most of his corals. A few died, but all certainly would have with that kind of copper poisoning. Good lesson he taught me that day. Always have some polypad around (as expensive as it may be)

People seem to have me somewhat confused :blink:
I know of the polyfilters you are talking about that are available in the Uk...!
They are about the size of a standard envelope and from my last recollection are approx £20 Uk..!

The pads i am referring to are solely for the removal of Nitrate, not a mixture of different things.... these are approx the size of a piece of A3 paper and retail here for a tad over $20 Australian.
I had never seen these in the UK and till recently hadn't seen them here in Queensland!

I looked @ the packaging, and in response to an earlier question, No i can't find the manufacturer details!!! i will however endeavour to find this info and pass it on ASAP.
If there is not a distributor in the UK or the States i'm sure amongst us we can arrange something for interested partys.

Dan. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back