nitrate deficiency

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ive been thinking about adding this as my nitrats alwasy show up as 0, however no one knows what kno3 is, except a few people on these forums.

if its not so popular, do u think it will really help?

lots of my plants always tunr brown a little bit, and i think nitrate defiency might be it, but it doesnt seem popular....

I'm thinking of doing this too, but mainly because I'm hoping it will help with the cyanobacteria in my tank. Here's a link another member told me about-it explains all about adding it if you decide to do that. I'm thinking it's something that has to be done very carefully and accurately.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

If you try it report back. I'm going to but I'm not in a big hurry right now since I just cleaned all the blue green crap out of my tank (well most of it).

eta: popularity of something doesn't really mean the lfs people will know about it. Fish are pretty popular, yet I have never seen any lfs employee (and I've been to about 5 of them in the past couple of months) who seem to know anything about them.

Use KNO3 only if you have lots of healthy plant growth already and you plants are showing signs of Nitrogen or Potassium deficiency. Are you sure your Nitrate test kit is accurate? Many go out of date quickly, I bought one new and it read zero all the time, even though my readings were 20 mg/l at the time.

qoute

Attachments

• TETRA.JPG
    TETRA.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 90
Just use Green Light Stump Remover as your source of KNO3. It's available at Lowes and similar stores. Don't use just any stump remover, because they may not be pure KNO3. Check Chuck's page for the exact dose.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nitrate.htm

Your plants will need nitrates to thrive. It's not popular in fish stores because most fish stores aren't equipped to handle fully planted tanks. Most of all of my planted tank materials were purchased online. None of the local stores stock all of the products needed to keep my plants happy.

If your nitrates are at 0 and you have plans on keeping your plants alive, then you must dose nitrates periodically.

Are you sure they're suffering from a nitrate deficiency? Your nitrate reading is 0, correct? If my nitrate reading was 0, I'd suddenly see my plant growth come to a hault and the algae growth explode.

Oops. :*) I didn't notice that gale had already posted Chuck's page.

gale, bga is often caused by a lack of water circulation. Do you have sufficient water circulation?

Bangin said:
If my nitrate reading was 0, I'd suddenly see my plant growth come to a hault and the algae growth explode.
my plant growth hasnt slowed down to much, but my algae has exploded all ove,r i get all typees of algae all over, its not even funny.

plnats still grow, but they never look there best, alwyas with brownish leaves to them

It sounds like you need to dose nitrates. It's a pain in the . but an absolute necessity for fully planted tanks.

Bangin said:
Oops. :*) I didn't notice that gale had already posted Chuck's page.

gale, bga is often caused by a lack of water circulation. Do you have sufficient water circulation?
Actually I don't. I only have a HOB filter in there, and I tried an airstone but the air pump is dang loud because I don't have a solid surface to put it on, only one of those plastic drawers, and it vibrates all over the place. I'm thinking about trying the hanging in a jar method but I don't have a jar that's big enough so the next time I get to a store with big jars I'll buy one. Then I'll put the jar on the floor behind the drawers (with a check valve of course) and see if that works. Plus I need some suction things because my airstone won't stay put where I want it.

btw chuck's page and entire site are worth a second posting, IMO.

sillyme-I'm lmao at your graphic. LOVE IT!!

Bangin said:
It sounds like you need to dose nitrates. It's a pain in the . but an absolute necessity for fully planted tanks.
why do u say its a pain in the butt?

is it hard to control?

that link that is posted up there seems like it will be pretty easy if u do it carefully.

By pain the butt I meant a continuous thing that must be done. You know...like how water changes can be a pain in the butt. :p

It's very easy to actually dose nitrates. Just mix the KNO3 with water and put the correct measurement in there. It's the daily/weekly dosing that becomes a pain.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back