--> Nick's Journal <--

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
right, this has been featured on uKaps but i thought that i would post it here. It is my first realt 'stab' at a planted tank with the fish fitting around the plants rather than the other way around. all my other tanks have been planted but not initially with decent substrate etc.
On with the Basics......
Tank: Juwel Rio 240 (240L)
Filtration: TT EX1200 and TT EX700
Lighting: 2x30w T8 (standard on the tank) = an arcadia 'I' bar with 2x 39w T5. (i probably will only have the t5's on and perhaps a 2 hour midday burst with the t8's)
co2: 2kg FE - standard diffuser being dispersed by the spray bar of the 700
Substrate: Aquabasis with Akadma on top (double red line, not presoaked or washed at all) and then Black gravel for around the 'islands'
Heating: just a normal 150w heater is sufficient. but i do have a spare 200W.

Some pictures of the substrate and layout:

IMGP4595.jpg

i had some P.helferi and E.acicularis in there being grown emersed while i was in iceland, but they didnt do very well and i have been trying to rescue them.

Plant List:
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne Becketii
Vallisneria Spiralis
Vallisneria Rubra
Rotala Rotundefolia (R.Indica)
Limnophilia Aromatica
Limnophila sessiliflora
Microsorium Pteropus Windelov
Microsorium Pteropus
Pogostemon Helferi
Staurogyne Sp.

the Stems came in very bad condition so i am trying to see if i can rescue them. On with Pictures. (i apologise about the heater in there but there is nothing i can do at the mo)

the filling:
IMGP5284.jpg

just after being filled. (excuse the E.amazonicus (sword))
IMGP5290.jpg

i will get an up to date pic tonight when i can get my hands on a camera.

New growth from the rotala. 5 days in:
IMGP5294.jpg

thats all for now folks! if you want to see it on uKaps (with more pics etc) its Here

it needs to fill in of course but shouldnt take to long. the crypts are just showing signs of growth after the 'melt'. The L.sessiliflora is growing nearly an inch a day. i will have to cut and replant soon. The same with the rotala.
C+C welcome of course.

cheers. an update....

old pic followed by new pic
IMGP5290.jpg

IMGP5322.jpg

a closeer up of the right side.
IMGP5323.jpg

i just wish i could use photoshop.! id like to get the picture of the full shot of the tank and place it on a black background. but i cant work it out.!

anyway, what do you guys think?

looks nice mate

i can try if u like; wanna tell me which FTS?

a quick update with a few photos. not the best but they will do, the plants are still 'closed up' as the lights had only just come on.

IMGP5356.jpg

IMGP5357.jpg

IMGP5358-1.jpg

Coments welcome as always. :good:

could i make any improvements? (i know the stems will need trimming in the near future)

That's filling out nicely... love your choice of plants. What sort of fish are you going to have in there? (something that shoals I hope ;))

Edited for a stupid typo.

well as im aiming for a tame jungle scape it will probably be rainbows really. i have in there at the moment.

1x BN (waiting for it to grow in order to sex it)
2x Crossocheilus siamensis (the true ones of course)
lots of cherry shrimp
amano shrimp

i am going to put the contents of my 120L in there which is a community (harlequins, gold barbs, neons)

but my main aim is to get a few M.praecox in there and a nice shoal of rasbora brigittae

Sounds like a nice selection of fish... neon rainbows will look ace in there. Best of luck :good:. Look forward to more piccies.

time for an update, still growing well....

IMGP5370.jpg

One inhabitant... a BN, think it is a female but its quite young..
IMGP5377.jpg

comments welcome of course....

Very nice :) I like the choice of vals in the rear. Very cute pleco btw.

I wish my crypt wendii's would grow up instead of sideways, lol.

Most reactions

Back