Newly cycled 45 gallon aquarium - live plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm hoping the fins do grow back...I think for now, I'm going to return them to Petsmart and get more neons from the other pet shop to replace the ones I lost. They seem to be much larger and more colorful than the ones at petsmart.

I would like to get one more large group of fish. Ideally, I think it would be best to have 8 of each and maybe a pleco that doesn't grow too large. Do you have any other recommendations for a soft water fish that will play nice with neons and rasboras? Thanks

I would like to get one more large group of fish. Ideally, I think it would be best to have 8 of each and maybe a pleco that doesn't grow too large. Do you have any other recommendations for a soft water fish that will play nice with neons and rasboras? Thanks

There are so many options, and we have no idea what species might be available to you locally, or might be available in a few months. I commented on pleco previously in this thread and mentioned the Whiptail (the common smaller one).

There is still the level at which fish tend to remain in the water column, and a near-surface fish was suggested previously...you mentioned the pygmy sparkling gourami and I had suggested the rocket pencilfish [or was that another thread...]. May have been another. This is a 45 gallon, so hatchetfish are an option for the surface, and if these then the species in the genus Carnegiella are best as they are strictly surface fish, smaller, and the marble (Carnegiella strigata) in particular is quite attractive and seen more frequently.

There are so many options, and we have no idea what species might be available to you locally, or might be available in a few months. I commented on pleco previously in this thread and mentioned the Whiptail (the common smaller one).

There is still the level at which fish tend to remain in the water column, and a near-surface fish was suggested previously...you mentioned the pygmy sparkling gourami and I had suggested the rocket pencilfish [or was that another thread...]. May have been another. This is a 45 gallon, so hatchetfish are an option for the surface, and if these then the species in the genus Carnegiella are best as they are strictly surface fish, smaller, and the marble (Carnegiella strigata) in particular is quite attractive and seen more frequently.

I've read that gouramis can be territorial and harass other smaller fish (and 2 males is a bad idea) so I'm hesitant to put them in with a fairly delicate fish like neon tetras. I do like the hatchetfish, but I'm not certain I'd be able to find them in my area.

Last edited:
I've read that gouramis can be territorial and harass other smaller fish (and 2 males is a bad idea) so I'm hesitant to put them in with a fairly delicate fish like neon tetras. I do like the hatchetfish, but I'm not certain I'd be able to find them in my area.

All this depends upon the species. Male gourami are territorial but not all species will tear into other fish in defending their territory. I have twice had a group of five/six sparkling gourami and no problems. I would not keep other surface fish in with them however, but my gourami never bothered the Boraras dwarf rasbora, or Trigonostigma hengeli rasbora. This species is best in a small group with two or three males and three females. The interaction of the males with their audible clicking is interesting to observe. But this is only one possible option. If it were me, I would go for the marble hatchetfish, as I really like this family and they are certainly peaceful and non-aggressive. Their interactions can be fascinating too. You need at least 8-9 of the species. But not everyone like hatchetfish.

All this depends upon the species. Male gourami are territorial but not all species will tear into other fish in defending their territory. I have twice had a group of five/six sparkling gourami and no problems. I would not keep other surface fish in with them however, but my gourami never bothered the Boraras dwarf rasbora, or Trigonostigma hengeli rasbora. This species is best in a small group with two or three males and three females. The interaction of the males with their audible clicking is interesting to observe. But this is only one possible option. If it were me, I would go for the marble hatchetfish, as I really like this family and they are certainly peaceful and non-aggressive. Their interactions can be fascinating too. You need at least 8-9 of the species. But not everyone like hatchetfish.
Stupid question, I believe the neons and rasboras are mid level swimmers from my observations. Is that correct? I think I will probably pick up a pair of gouramis (are 2 males okay to put together?), 6 neons, 4 more rasboras (I really like this fish) and a pleco. That will give me a total of 10 neon tetras, 10 raspboras, 1 pleco and 2 gouramis.

I also want to ensure the tank is fully stocked (as to not allow the nitrite bacteria to go dormant) but not overstocked.

Stupid question, I believe the neons and rasboras are mid level swimmers from my observations. Is that correct? I think I will probably pick up a pair of gouramis (are 2 males okay to put together?), 6 neons, 4 more rasboras (I really like this fish) and a pleco. That will give me a total of 10 neon tetras, 10 raspboras, 1 pleco and 2 gouramis.

I also want to ensure the tank is fully stocked (as to not allow the nitrite bacteria to go dormant) but not overstocked.

Several things here.

Rasbora are mid-water fish, neon tetra are lower water fish, say lower half. When frightened or stressed, they may all change habits, but generally under normal/good conditions, this applies.

Gourami...distinguishing male/female in young fish is next to impossible in the store tank. You are best to acquire a group of five or six. You want a mix of male/female and this usually works to achieve it. If not this small group, I would consider another species in its place. Natural interactive behaviours is one thing, but behaviours due to inappropriate conditions is another.

The neon and rasbora numbers are fine. Be careful of the pleco, you need to know the exact species to ensure you don't get a monster. The common pleco widely available (unfortunately) grows to 18 inches (45 cm) and these fish are waste factories.

Bacteria...nitrifying bacteria can remain alive in a sort of suspended hibernation for weeks, even longer depending upon conditions. Once the tank is initially cycled, you should not have issues with the bacteria. But that brings me to plants...are live plants intended? You need floating plants, and lots of them, for the gourami; fewer for hatchetfish (they need some open water). Floating plants are ammonia sinks, and it is virtually impossible to have "cycling" issues with healthy floating plants present.

Several things here.

Rasbora are mid-water fish, neon tetra are lower water fish, say lower half. When frightened or stressed, they may all change habits, but generally under normal/good conditions, this applies.

Gourami...distinguishing male/female in young fish is next to impossible in the store tank. You are best to acquire a group of five or six. You want a mix of male/female and this usually works to achieve it. If not this small group, I would consider another species in its place. Natural interactive behaviours is one thing, but behaviours due to inappropriate conditions is another.

The neon and rasbora numbers are fine. Be careful of the pleco, you need to know the exact species to ensure you don't get a monster. The common pleco widely available (unfortunately) grows to 18 inches (45 cm) and these fish are waste factories.

Bacteria...nitrifying bacteria can remain alive in a sort of suspended hibernation for weeks, even longer depending upon conditions. Once the tank is initially cycled, you should not have issues with the bacteria. But that brings me to plants...are live plants intended? You need floating plants, and lots of them, for the gourami; fewer for hatchetfish (they need some open water). Floating plants are ammonia sinks, and it is virtually impossible to have "cycling" issues with healthy floating plants present.
I am strongly considering live plants. My tank is already cycled (fishless cycle), but I've read that the established bacteria can go dormant if you don't fully stock the tank. So, I think I will go with a pair of gouramis tonight and see how they do. I'll also look into some live floating plants but my worry is that they may block too much of the light.

I am strongly considering live plants. My tank is already cycled (fishless cycle), but I've read that the established bacteria can go dormant if you don't fully stock the tank. So, I think I will go with a pair of gouramis tonight and see how they do. I'll also look into some live floating plants but my worry is that they may block too much of the light.

Please do not get a "pair" of gourami, you are asking for problems.

You need floating plants for the gourami, this is essential unless you want stressed fish. The other fish will be happier too. I can assure you that rasbora and neons will be stressed without floating plants, and that means weakened immune systems and all sorts of preventable health issues. Fish have inherent needs and we must understand them and provide them.

There is a difference between dormant and dead; there is no issue with the bacteria as I already explained.

You need floating plants for the gourami, this is essential unless you want stressed fish. The other fish will be happier too. I can assure you that rasbora and neons will be stressed without floating plants, and that means weakened immune systems and all sorts of preventable health issues. Fish have inherent needs and we must understand them and provide them.

There is a difference between dormant and dead; there is no issue with the bacteria as I already explained.

Thanks, tonight I picked up 10 neons, a pleco (cant remember the exact name but the owner advised me that it won't grow larger than 4-5") and a gourami. I will have to get a floating plant this weekend. I also took the minor tetras back to petsmart and they assured me they will restock them. I'll tell you, catching 8 minor tetras in a 45 gallon aquarium is a trial of patience!

Clown pleco, bristlenose pleco, rubbernose pleco?

Any of these?

Bristlenose is a commonly available pleco that would be about 5 inches. And the pic... well it could be any of a plethora of species based on that.

Id believe them if they said it was a BN. Lovely fish. Make sure there's a bit of wood somewhere in the tank. They need it for proper digestion. And if you can create a cave of some sort... that will also be good. Males create a breeding cave and hang out there most of the time as they mature.

Also it will become far more skittish and reclusive as it matures.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back