Newbie Tank Status

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

platy83

Reaction score
hi I've had my 105L fish tank for three weeks now. I am new at this so I need advice on what steps to take next. I have 5 platys (one of which I think is pregnant but I can't see her gravid spot she is just really fat) and 2 bronze corys (about 7cm long) and 3 medium sized catfish don't know what kind it looks like a bristle nose but its not exactly the same skin color. I also have some Eichhornia crassipes. Anyway how am I doing in terms of space? What fish should I add or get more of (I thought more corys)? Is 3 too much catfish? I have noticed that they like to bite of the stems of my plants. Any type of advice is appreciated! Thanks!

hi I've had my 105L fish tank for three weeks now. I am new at this so I need advice on what steps to take next. I have 5 platys (one of which I think is pregnant but I can't see her gravid spot she is just really fat) and 2 bronze corys (about 7cm long) and 3 medium sized catfish don't know what kind it looks like a bristle nose but its not exactly the same skin color. I also have some Eichhornia crassipes. Anyway how am I doing in terms of space? What fish should I add or get more of (I thought more corys)? Is 3 too much catfish? I have noticed that they like to bite of the stems of my plants. Any type of advice is appreciated! Thanks!

It sounds like you've stocked your tank really quickly, did you fishless cycle or have you been cycling with fish? It sounds like you could do with slowing down to be honest, especially ifyou are cycling with fish. I've attached an article on stocking density which is quite useful.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=125

Are you doing regular water testing, if so, what are your current levels for Nitrate, Nitrite, and amonia?

If you are a beginner I would highly recommend that you read all the pinned articles at the top of the beginners and tropical chit chat forums. That will give you a good foundation of basic knowledge. You have also quite heavily stocked your tank without apparantly cycling it. I would also recommend that you get an Aquarium Pharmaseuticals API Freswater Master Test Kit. This has liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Its about £20 but essential for when you are setting up a new tank. Find out your water stats and post them for us as I would imagine you currently have fairly high ammonia and nitrite readings and probably need to be doing some fairly regular water changes.

Good luck :good:

Most reactions

Back