Newbie Stuff

James B

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi guys
i was planning on doing a full 45 gallon reef set up but with a slight change of circumstances and Gcse's on the horizon its no longer going to be possible but i still cant kick the reef bug. what sort of set up cost am i looking at to do a 20 gallon(75 litre) nano. at the moment i have a tank with 2 puffers in it but tbh there going to out grow it pretty soon and i dont have the space to put in another tank for them :-(. if i was to re home them i would want to do marine. really theres about 3 or 4 fish i really want a pair of clowns a hi fin goby if i could and maybe some fire fish does that sound like an ok stockin option and how much lr should be in this tank what power heads should be used etc. thanks in advance James

hmm i think thats overstocking in a 20 gallon. if you already have the tank then it should cost about £200 ish without live stock. if you could get a cheap 20 long then that would be good for the fish because of more <-----> swimming room.

some of the elders on the forum will be able to help out much more.

Kinda confused as to what exactly you want to stock, you were rambling a bit in your post ;) That sounds like a pretty good cost estimate for starting a fish-only nano if you've got the tank.

erm he wants to stock either 2 puffers but he knows theyd get huge or 3 - 4 small fish --- pair of clowns, high fin goby and a firefish. theres the thigns that he wants . always trying to help ;)

sorry been a bit of a long daylol. i have a 25gal long tank atm with 2 f8 puffers in it but to be honest there getting a bit big for it and working in a lfs it'll be easy to get them a nice new home. Would the clowns be ok in that tank, is there any other fish that could go with them? £200 sounds great to start it up. thanks james

Clowns and Puffers as a general rule of thumb do not get along. Perhaps F8 puffers (whatever those are) are an exception to the rule, but I wouldnt chance it personally. 2 Clowns in a 25 long would be fine by themselves though. How long is a 25 long? 30"? 36"?

puffers would either goto a friend or new tank clowns would be alone the tank is 30" long. After some experience would corals be ok in his tank with a metal halide pendant or similar

B)-->QUOTE(James B @ Dec 4 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1396587[/snapback]

sorry been a bit of a long daylol.
[/quote]

god i know the feeling i had double english with the most depressing treacher in the world

dont i spent today doing geography coursework.

QUOTE(James B @ Dec 4 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]1396587[/snapback]
sorry been a bit of a long daylol.

god i know the feeling i had double english with the most depressing treacher in the world [/quote]

God :grr:

Anywho, I've so far spent about $300 on everything for me. I think, for some reason I tend to forget what I spend on fish nowadays. Its become a habit :fun: . It would help buying used parts if your worried about the price. As for the stocking options, I have no idea what an f8 puffer is. (Is it the tiny button in between F7 and F9? :lol: ) I would go with a pair of clowns and a firefish.

clowns and firefish it is then. money heh not so worried. i will just shred the bank statement before reading it.

B)-->QUOTE(James B @ Dec 4 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]1396664[/snapback]

clowns and firefish it is then. money heh not so worried. i will just shred the bank statement before reading it.
[/quote]

Lol, good call. You might be able to stick a fairy wrasse in there as well since its 30" long. :good:

Final lists then i can shop lol.

stock:
pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
a fire fish
snails and shrimp for cleanup crew (advice please)
and about 25lbs of live rock.

one or two seio pumps and is it worth using the external filter i have spare or just add it to another tank thanks james.

Most reactions

Back