Newbie Needs Advice With His Dream Mbuna Aquarium

AshBreed

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
May I just say a big hello to you all, I have been using this site for a while now as a guest and have found it very useful.

At last I have been able to make room for a Mbuna Aquarium but slightly restricted on length.

I am currently looking at getting a custom built tank that is 36â€￾x24â€￾x24â€￾ so it will only be 3ft long but have a volume of 340l - 75 gallons or 90 US gallons.

I have done quite a lot of research already but just need to clarify a few things.

External Filter? I read somewhere that Mbuna tanks require a filter for a tank of twice its size? Is that right?

Inline heater? I want the tank to look its best so was wondering about inline heaters that heat the water straight from the filter before it goes into the tank. Are these any good? Was thinking about the 300w version?

Under Gravel jets? Has anyone tried this with success? Would a take of this size need it?

As you can tell I’m a bit of a worrier and would hate to get it wrong so any help would be appreciated.

Looking forward to your advise.

Ashley

May I just say a big hello to you all, I have been using this site for a while now as a guest and have found it very useful.

At last I have been able to make room for a Mbuna Aquarium but slightly restricted on length.

I am currently looking at getting a custom built tank that is 36â€￾x24â€￾x24â€￾ so it will only be 3ft long but have a volume of 340l - 75 gallons or 90 US gallons.

I have done quite a lot of research already but just need to clarify a few things.

External Filter? I read somewhere that Mbuna tanks require a filter for a tank of twice its size? Is that right?

Inline heater? I want the tank to look its best so was wondering about inline heaters that heat the water straight from the filter before it goes into the tank. Are these any good? Was thinking about the 300w version?

Under Gravel jets? Has anyone tried this with success? Would a take of this size need it?

As you can tell I’m a bit of a worrier and would hate to get it wrong so any help would be appreciated.

Ashley

Yes an external filter is best IMO but wait for a bit more advice on which one.

Inline heaters are ok i think i no what you mean.

I dont know what under graval jets are?

Ashley

Yes an external filter is best IMO but wait for a bit more advice on which one.

Inline heaters are ok i think i no what you mean.

I dont know what under graval jets are?

Thanks for such a quick respone,
the under gravel jets are fetured on this link.
www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php
Just not sure if it would be worth it.
cheers

Hello m8, the recommended filtration for your mbuna are 3 times the tank, I use a 300w external heater made by hydor, its easier to controll and I'm seriously impressed with mine.

If your tank is 340 litres then yes 1020 litres will be fine, BUT, why not go for more? mbuna + plenty of rock make for quite a dirty tank. the more the better, I think mine runs 500 gallons an hour on a 104 gallon tank and its still full of crap.

tanks a lot!!! it all gets pushed to one side of the tank and away from the flow. :p

If your tank is 340 litres then yes 1020 litres will be fine, BUT, why not go for more? mbuna + plenty of rock make for quite a dirty tank. the more the better, I think mine runs 500 gallons an hour on a 104 gallon tank and its still full of crap.

tanks a lot!!! it all gets pushed to one side of the tank and away from the flow. :p

Sound expensive? What filter do you use for yours?

Ive got two on my mbuna tank, the fluval FX5 and an eheim pro 2, werent expensive really, I think about £120 for both. (fluval was new and the eheim was 6 months old) the fluval I got cheap for being cheaky!!!! :hyper:

Ive got two on my mbuna tank, the fluval FX5 and an eheim pro 2, werent expensive really, I think about £120 for both. (fluval was new and the eheim was 6 months old) the fluval I got cheap for being cheaky!!!! :hyper:

Sounds like you got a right bargin, eBay here I come!!

If you can afford it, get an eheim pro2, wonderful filters. If not go for a Fluval, still good filters and much cheaper.

FX5 all the way. much more powerfull, bigger capacity, and even at the dearest outlet its cheaper than the pro 2....................................................................................................................................................

BUT, there are cheaper alternatives out there that are probably quite good!!!

FX5 all the way. much more powerfull, bigger capacity, and even at the dearest outlet its cheaper than the pro 2....................................................................................................................................................

BUT, there are cheaper alternatives out there that are probably quite good!!!

Just found a new Eheim Pro2 2028 for £108 delivered but will keep looking.
Might get both, I suppose you cant get enough filtration

theres a second hand one on here for £80, probably be able to get him down a bit. look through the sales and swaps.

If the one u can get for £108 is new then grab it and run. :good:

Most reactions

Back