New Year, New Rules

andywg

Bored into leaving
Reaction score
Just a quick shout out to any other front rowers out there, I was swondering how you are finding the new engaging technique (Crouch, touch, pause, engage).

Had my first match with them yesterday and found them a nightmare, as did the rest of us. It was so odd with the pauses that there was no rhythm and one scrum ended up with the other side not being too ready, us running all over them and dislocating their second row's shoulder. Not comfortable at all for me. It seems to be designed to fix a problem at the top level which doesn't really affect the lower levels.

Anyone else experienced them new rules yet?

being a back they dont really afect me that much, but the front row have complained abit about them

From chatting with a club member who is a referee my hypothesis is that the rules work fine with refs who could already control the front row and get them the right distance apart, but those who couldn't will still struggle under these rules. At the same time, the front rows (who are not normally known for their mental capabilities) are focusing so much on the pause that the engagements are somewhat untidy and feel a lot less safe than before the new rules came in.

Playing tomorrow not played for a while due to work.

I play in the second row so not looking forward to it after reading your post. :unsure:

lol
idont really mind them, as scrum half. i got used to it pretty quick, at least at practice. my first game isnt until feb. :(

Somehow I think it will have a little less impact on the scrum half than the front row ;)

I think it may affect the second and back rows more, as they do the big push (the front row just absorb the power on their necks and back). I found that the second row behind me were very edgey and were constantly just edging me further forward.

Hopefully I'll be propping again tomorrow and can have another look at them. I think if you have a good set of front rows and a decent ref there won't be a problem, but I had a couple of scrums before where on "touch" I couldn't reach the opposing prop, but we still went in...

Well, after a second game with a better ref it was much easier.

I had far harder opposition and even went flying at one point (so just hooked the ball back insted ;) ).

The pauses were far shorter than before, though it still feels like a law that is introduced to everyone but is only of benefit to those at the very top level of rugby. I can only think of about 4 scrums in the last 18 months that have gone down on impact, and they were generally on wet, slippery grounds.

Played a couple of games since my last post. The first game i thought it made the scrums worse as i couldn't set properly from kneeling.
The second game, last weekend, I didn't actually kneel down,just crouched, The number 8 might not have liked it but I was able to get set early and ready to push and found it more comfortable.

Good luck with the rest of the season everyone.

p.s What teams does everyone play for ?

I play for Aspull we are in the northern league - Euromanx/Cheshire 1.

What sport is Scrum??????????????????????????????????????????????
you must be educated!!!rugby union (the mans game)
rugby league (girls only ;) )
VVV scrum VVV
300px-Scrum_rugby.jpg

Most reactions

Back