New way to Fishless cycle!?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I went to the petstore the other day and I talked to the guy about fishless cycling, because he's very knowledgeable. I told him my porcess with the ammonia and such and he said "That will work, but I can save you alot of trouble". :eek: What? He showed me this chemical form a company called "Coral life" that started the nitrate process. He said it would make an ammonia spike and then generate nitrates. :eek: He then showed me a chemical that would boost my beneficial bacteria. ( I can't remember the name of the product). Anyone ever seen this? :blink:

The lady at my LFS told me to use Cycle for fishless cycling, but that is all she told me to do.
I am sticking with the ammonia system though, it seems much more recommended.

Im pretty sure I'm going to use the ammonia system, but i was jsut interested if anyone have heard of this.

i cycled my tank in 6 days

here is what i did, it is a cycle with fish btw..

1.i took 50% gravel from both my 10 gallon tanks, fill it backup with new gravel
2. i put the old gravel in my new tank as the "bottom layer" then i put the new gravel on top.
3. I also took everything out of one of my 10g tank to my new tank too, so the tank can be a breeding tank now for my baby fish
4.brought 8 zebra danio, 4 sparkling gourami (no fish deaths)
5. wait 2 days and the tank was cycled. :lol:

now i have

5 clown loaches
8 zebra danio
4 sparkling gouramis
2 cories'
1 pleco

and no fish deaths, all done in ONE week total :p

amazingbioloboydp said:
not believeable BUT i wouldnt trust chemicals like that...not even when there arent fish. :no:
well "cycle from hagen is awsome, ppl say it sucks..."

it cycled my tank so fast...i mean it adds bacteria to your tank good bacteria (i guess that that isn't chemical then) and the bottle even say that it is impossible to overdose B)

gimme some advice in Live Chat, Oh Fish Cycle Master!

Oh carp! I was holding a bottle of cucle in my LFS today and didn't buy it I've been using StressZyme which is supposed to add beneficial bacteria. I've been at this for over 2 weeks and I am getting VERY IMPATIENT! :angry:

Red said:
gimme some advice in Live Chat, Oh Fish Cycle Master!

Oh carp! I was holding a bottle of cucle in my LFS today and didn't buy it I've been using StressZyme which is supposed to add beneficial bacteria. I've been at this for over 2 weeks and I am getting VERY IMPATIENT! :angry:
do u have any other tanks or your friends tank which u can borrow filter media from or old gravel?? since they have good bacteria..(come to think of it, i never went on live chat... :*) )

The story so far - this is a ex-marine tank fully cleaned & prepared (no detergents or nasties of any kind).

Filled with tap water and first does of Stress Zyme on Friday August 20th.
Bottle says : "contains 100 million live bacteria per teaspoonful to enhance the growth of any biological filter. Blah blah."

Followed instructions on measure & dates to the letter.

Didn't add anything from my mature tank coz I was worried about fin rot or fungus which had been present but seem to have cleared now.

Yesterday I read a thread recommending squeezing out filter sponge into new tank. So I added that from established disease free tank of a friend.

Now 13 days later I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates but nitrITES at 2ppm. Too much for any fish to live in.

Had advice this morning on Live Chat about increasing temp and air supply, so I've added an airstone & turned up the heat.

WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG? I WANT MY CLOWN LOACHES (but I don't want to kill them!) :angry:

Hope this helps. I still am not sure about my other cycled tank - I think it is disease free but how can I be sure, I would rather wait than introduce any nasties to my new tank.

um, did u add any water conditioners? to remove chorine (i think) and something else, i am wondering if the good bateria u aded can survive in water i with chorine (??)

this is my guess i am not sure, but ever thought about adding some zebra danios to help cycle the tank? i mean where i live it is 50 ea and instead of them dying all of they survived then if your dont want them u can giv'em back to your pet store? :/

Water conditioner - yes of course (not a total newbie!) :lol:
(Aqua plus to remove Chlorine and chloramine in correct quantity for 110ltrs)

With nitrITES at 2ppm it would probably (certainly?) kill even the hardiest fish. I am very fond of my 4 zebra danios and have no wish to send them to their doom.
(Also Danio2004 would wring my neck! -_- )

I've thought about putting in the stupid fat lemon goldfish I bought for an au-pair who left us months ago but I can't even bring myself to sacrifice that!

Suggest something else please. :/

Most reactions

Back